Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came into a used 10 gallon tank. Hood was dented and covered in algae, as was the filter. Pulled everything apart and scrubbed it good (no soap). The tank had previously been used with live plants and gravel (nasty to clean up after, it was filled with little snail and shrimp skeletons). Apparently the previous owner never cleaned it.

Anywho, the filter that came with it was an Aqua Tech 5-15. You can find them at Walmart. Do you think this filter is safe/good for bettas or should I invest in a gentler brand? I've never had this kind a filter before so I don't know what its power level is on the fish.

What filter brands would you recommend?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I really like my new ATI Hydro Sponge Filter I. I have it in a five gallon. It would work for ten gallon or you can get next size up, the II (recommended). Put an airstone in it and you are all set to run a great cycle. Easily maintained as well. Swish out once monthly in old tank water during water change (the sponge part, which is removable). Your BB will love it, it will be their new home.

Reactions: Hallyx

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweeet

I'm new to filters in general so, I was very worried that it would be too rough for my betta. I guess I'm off to buy the cartridge that goes with it~

Do i just drop the airstone right into the filter itself or place one in the tank?

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
I personally think the aqua tech would be fine . Some bettas look like they're struggling briefly when finally introduced to filters but almost always adjust. I like HOB filters far more then sponge filters but most of all I like canister filters . I just don't like canisters made for smaller tanks ... Or at least the ones I've seen so far.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Hydro filter is set up so you attach the airstone inside the filter housing, then put the filter together, attach sponge, then attach the airline hose and pump. The pump does not come with the filter. There is also a weighted base included as part of the filter that helps the sponge filter sit on the bottom or the base can be immersed in the substrate. I like the sponge because it gives the BB a home and draws water in so they can eat ammonia and nitrites. As well, not a huge investment and sponge lasts a long time...not a lot of sponge changing, just swishing in removed tank water once or twice a month as needed. Airstone is not required, but can be helpful in reducing bubble size, possibly better aerating tank and reducing current for betta.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Any HOB requires the same care though . You shouldn't change the cartridge or filter media .. Only if it's really falling apart .. And some kinds I just never can imagine that happening to.. Like aquaclear filters . Those are great .

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
I like sponge filters, too. But the Aqua Tech will serve your purpose just fine. Instead of replacing the filter pad with a similar one, you might consider getting a Fluval Aquarium sponge. Filters well, holds bacteria and lasts forever.

That kind of filter does not take an airstone. The waterfall provides plenty of oxygen for your bacteria.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts