Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Broken filter??

I have had my betta for a little over a week now in a brand new tank with a brand new filter. The water used to go through the carbon filter, but now only some of it goes through the filter and the rest leaks over the edge of where the filter is seated. It seems that the water isn't flowing through the filter fast enough, so it's leaking over the edge. Is this normal? It seems like I need a new filter, but I've only been using it a little over a week! Also, my betta definitely is not liking this change because it is creating more of a current in his tank that he is constantly having to swim against. Here is a pic...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, it is the betta bow 2.5. It normally creates a current, but now it is much stronger. It does seem to be blowing him all over the tank :( I'm tempted to turn it off for a bit to give him a break, but not sure if that would be worse...

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I have a 2.5 Mini Bow and the filter quit working in less than a month and I replaced it with a small internal which took up much less room.

Have you swished the media in the old tank water when you do water changes? I'd try that first. It could be the media is clogged. If it's not time for a water change you can swish it in treated water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm new to this and not quite sure what you mean by swishing the media in old tank water. Do you mean swishing the filter around in it? I have only rinsed the filter because that is what I read to do...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh! Well thank you for letting me know that! I have rinsed in under the faucet twice (oops!) I will go ahead and get a new filter then! Thanks so much for your help, I'm still trying to figure this all out!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks so much for the offer RussellTheShihTzu. I decided to try a new filter cartridge before I got a whole new filter. I put a new one in today, and that fixed the problem! He is much happier in his tank now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts