Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you guys, I was planning on starting a 5 gallon tank for either a male wild betta or a breeding pair and I was wondering what type of filter I should use? Sponge or just regular carbon filter? And which kind? I would like something local that I could possibly get supplies or replacement filters locally like from walmart, petsmart, or petco. Thanks :D

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was only doing silk plants. A bubble filter? Could you possibly explain that further?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think a carbon filter will be ok though?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok...thank you so much for the advice!

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That Youtube video was awesome! I might end up doing that if I can't find a filter I like. Thanks!

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I have a few questions if I decide to go this route...when do I need to replace the sponge? And what should I use in my bottle? I have seen several different things, so what would you recommend? And how big of a bottle should I use for a 5 gallon tank?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Getting a lot of bottles is no big deal haha and just to make sure a standard water bottle should be ok for a 5gal right? For the middle though, what is that stuff? Could I get it at petsmart? And any sponge is ok to use right, or should I get an aquarium sponge?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like mentioned above, its not necessary but if you want to clean it rinse it in the aquarium water (the one you will be cleaning), and not with fresh water to help keep the bio load in it.

Rocks work pretty well. I like the fine rocks. I also modify it a little with Plastic Canvas (Michaels), to keep the sponge in and also add one of the million hole air stones to make for a nicer quitter bubble. You can add packets, (moms panty hose stuff) of carbon if you'd like too, but its not necessary.
Rocks? Really?!

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks thekoimaidan and bettasusa!

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do have one quick question though, my sister had a betta but after he passed away she decided that she didn't want the tank anymore. It came with an air pump for an air stone; its a 3 gallon tank. Do you think that the air pump would be ok to use for the filter for my 5 gallon?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Again thank you you guys for all of your advice!

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
XD Yay for the sponge! I looked at prices and stuff and watched multiple videos of that stuff and it was awesome! I think it's pretty cool that you can make your own filter and its better than the ones they sell. (knock on wood) We don't normally get a lot of power outages around here, but of course then again it does help that my mom works at the for the power company :D Oh and speaking of the filter...I noticed that AquaClear sold smaller packs of the foam and the biomax do you think the smaller stuff rated for the 5 gallon tanks should be fine? (Probably a stupid question but I just want to be sure)

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh ok...again thank you so much! What do you have in a 55 gallon?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh....how many do you have in there? And what kind?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Whoa! Those are some big fish! I saw you have koi's too. I've been curious about those too. Can you only keep them in ponds are are there a smaller variety that you could keep in a bigger tank?

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Haha I've seen the really big ones on Youtube and it always shocks me. I didn't realize some of them could get that big.

Koi actually get that big? I guess that makes sense since they are always in ponds.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wow I didn't realize most fish were that young in stores, I mean I have heard stories but I never figured...I'm glad I'm sticking with bettas and have done/still doing research for them. So keeping a goldfish in a 5 gallon tank would probably be bad then? I know someone who did and they had problems with their tank, the goldfish kept going through bouts of some type of fungus.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well then...thank for the info I will let my friend know that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.