Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a betta died of dropsy. It was kind of traumatic for me watching him die.

Yesterday, I went out and bought a new male betta with beautiful colors (at least for my taste). Anyway, I decided I wouldn't let him get sick. I am only feeding him 1-2 pellets daily, used a conditioner for the (tap) water and bought a filter. I am planning on buying a heater too.

Problem is, I think the filter is too strong! It's a 2 gallon tank and when the filter is on all the decorations and even the water shake. I turned it off. It's one of those disposable, carbon filters that I'm supposed to change every 3-4 weeks.

Is there a quieter filter I can buy?

I have another questions, is it ok to put a male betta and a female betta together? I want to get him a companion. :)

So far, he is swimming around and getting to know his new surroundings. It's a change for him. My other betta spent weeks in the bottom of the tank, struggling to swim and move up to get some air.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wouldn't use a filter for a 2g, you don't really need it. An unfiltered 2g water changes will be roughly the same amount as a filtered 2g. Not much of a difference.

I highly suggest you buy at heater ASAP. Bettas are tropical fish, 76F ~ 82F is the temperature range they like.

Also, NO. Female Betta + male Betta = both of them dead or one of them dead and one badly beaten up.

2g cannot house anything else but a male Betta.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't use a filter for a 2g, you don't really need it. An unfiltered 2g water changes will be roughly the same amount as a filtered 2g. Not much of a difference.

I highly suggest you buy at heater ASAP. Bettas are tropical fish, 76F ~ 82F is the temperature range they like.

Also, NO. Female Betta + male Betta = both of them dead or one of them dead and one badly beaten up.

2g cannot house anything else but a male Betta.
Hi! Thanks for your advice!

I live in Puerto Rico where the weather is very tropical as is. That's why I haven't been in a hurry to buy the heater. I will buy it soon anyway because sometimes, when it rains or when there's a cold front the weather can get a little chilly. Of course that would make you laugh if you live in a cold state.

I will forget about the filter then. I do admit that making 50% water changes every other day will be a little hard for me. Maybe, once a week would be okay?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Hello! Sorry your last betta had dropsy :(. Anyway what kind of filter is it? depending on what type of filter, you probably want to get a bigger tank. Not only will it give him more swimming room, but you won't have to do as many water changes. I suggest a 3-5 gallon. You can get an acrylic one for pretty cheap.

Don't put another betta in with him. He will be just as happy, if not happier, all by himself :)

Oh! and make sure you get a small heater asap. Even if it's warm where you are, a heater will keep his water temperature more stable.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
To be honest a 50% water change every other day is a bit too much, one 50% water change and one 100% water change per week will do you just fine.

Just spread the water changes three days apart. Just make sure you don't overfeed, just put one pellet at a time and make sure he eats it, if he doesn't just removed the uneaten food.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hello! Sorry your last betta had dropsy :(. Anyway what kind of filter is it? depending on what type of filter, you probably want to get a bigger tank. Not only will it give him more swimming room, but you won't have to do as many water changes. I suggest a 3-5 gallon. You can get an acrylic one for pretty cheap.

Don't put another betta in with him. He will be just as happy, if not happier, all by himself :)

Oh! and make sure you get a small heater asap. Even if it's warm where you are, a heater will keep his water temperature more stable.
That's it! I will buy a bigger tank! Thank you!

And yes, I will buy the heater too. And no companion. :-D

Thanks again!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sponge filters can be very small and don't cause powerful currents. Agreed on keeping him alone, though if you want to you can put a few small cherry or ghost shrimp with him, or maybe a snail(only one, they breed like mad!). The shrimp may end up a snack, but if not they'll pick uneaten food and other things off the bottom of the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.