Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a betta and a tank, a top fin 5.5g with i believe is the power filter 10. I noticed the current was too strong for my little guy and read about putting pantyhose around the outflow of the filter but now my tank seems dirty like there are little things floating around. I was wondering if anyone knew about a flow control or how to keep the tank clean with little current.

·
Registered
906 Posts
bettas are not that weak. They can handle a little bit of current the water does not need to be very still. For breeding keep the water as swill as your can. I find that the little bit of current makes them stronger..

What kind of filter to you have?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I think the filter that comes with that tank is too much for that sized tank. You can take an aquarium safe sponge & stuff it inside the filter, get rid of the filter cartridge that comes with the filter, sponge will last much longer. You'll also want to get a pre filter for the intake arm if your Betta has long fins as the fins can get sucked into the intake & damaged. The water bottle baffle; take a water bottle cut the bottom off then cut it the width of the filter output, cut that from bottom to top & wrap it around the outflow so it goes over the top & under which redirects the water flow, you may have to tape to get it to stay, you can google water bottle baffle or there may be a sticky on here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the filter that came with the Top Fin 5.5 gallon tank with the Marina S10. It has an adjustable flow and the medium setting is gentle enough that it doesn't bother my betta. It also has a sponge that covers the intake so I don't have to worry about his fins getting caught.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.