Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a betta in my 15 gallon community tank. I have about ten shrimp and 10 tetras in there. I have heard that sponge filters make excellent filters, yet i am unable to find any that can fit and maintain a 20 gallon tank. Any suggestions? (If you know of a 15 gallon sponge filter send me the link):thankyou:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am getting a betta in my 15 gallon community tank. I have about ten shrimp and 10 tetras in there. I have heard that sponge filters make excellent filters, yet i am unable to find any that can fit and maintain a 20 gallon tank. Any suggestions? (If you know of a 15 gallon sponge filter send me the link)

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
I wouldn't do a sponge filter . Get an aquaclear 20 or even a 30 and at their pre filter sponge on the intake . That'll keep any baby shrimpies safe .. They actually will sit on that and eat from IME . But make sure your tank is fully cycled and very stable before adding shrimp .

What type shrimp and what type tetra ? Many tetra love to eat shrimp . A school of feather fin rainbow would be far safer with shrimp and really cool to watch .

Edit-
Ahh. But you already have the tetra .. So lots of plants and cover for the shrimp is important .. Small places to get away.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That's not a filter .. It's foam to add to your filters or more so your own custom filters . I'll stand by the fact that sponge filters are very sub par.. They get the job done sorta but by no means are they the best option ...

Perhaps I should have clarified and stated that it was a link to *supplies* for a sponge filter. The site does give very good directions on how to create a filter out of the foam pad. OP asked about sponge filters, so I responded with sponge filters.

The "best" option is pretty subjective. Many of my LFS filter their 100+ gallon tanks with sponge filters. They are simple, hard to break, and inexpensive. I have two 10 gallon tanks running side by side, one with a sponge and one with an HOB filter. Both keep the water clear and the parameters perfect.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Oh no, I hope I didn't sound like I was attacking you're suggestions . Ehh.. Which filters are best are only mildly subjective . And types aren't all that counts .. Certain brands of the same type are 1,000 times better. I like to learn by doing so I've made a point in fishkeeping to try all types and brands of filtration and equipment in general so I can have personal experience with what's better and why and for what kind of set up or fish.

A sponge filter CAN get the job done, yes. And I do actually when people really want sponge filters link that website too .. Especially the biologically active ones they sell. That's really nice for newbies who just can't wait through the cycling process .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't do a sponge filter . Get an aquaclear 20 or even a 30 and at their pre filter sponge on the intake . That'll keep any baby shrimpies safe .. They actually will sit on that and eat from IME . But make sure your tank is fully cycled and very stable before adding shrimp .

What type shrimp and what type tetra ? Many tetra love to eat shrimp . A school of feather fin rainbow would be far safer with shrimp and really cool to watch .

Edit-
Ahh. But you already have the tetra .. So lots of plants and cover for the shrimp is important .. Small places to get away.

I have checked out the AquaClear 20 and 30 and have seen many reviews saying that they last about 4 months and the motor will 'un-prime' and if you don't re-prime it, it will burn the motor. Any other suggestion? (What do you use for your betts?)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have checked out the AquaClear 20 and 30 and have seen many reviews saying that they last about 4 months and the motor will 'un-prime' and if you don't re-prime it, it will burn the motor. Any other suggestion? (What do you use for your betts?)

There are bad reviews for every filter, probably because there is an element of user error. Un-prime? If the water level is too low (user error) and the power goes out, yes they will Un-prime, which is just water siphoning out of the filter. If the water level is where is should be, there are no problems. I've personally had the filters run dry for longer than I know, and I've never had a burnout.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts

Honestly I've never had a problem with them .. And I can't even tell you how many aquaclear (fluval) filters I have . I did damage one motor by being retarded.. But did fix it too . The set up is really the easiest and best of HOBs . To clean or customize your media couldn't be any easier ... And I have many that are yrs old not months .. And have a couple that are newish. They aren't self priming .. Many filters aren't .. All you do is toss water in there after or as you do your water change . Other then that you shouldn't be worried about the priming .. It shouldn't back siphon ever unless you don't keep your tank properly filled And even then if you make a mistake and forget to fill during water changes the motor doesn't die.. Unless you just let it run dry for a while. That will kill any filter motor .

Aqueon quiet flows are decent . That's the only cheaper filter I've found mostly trustworthy . I have had a couple mysteriously die without user error but not enough to concern me much about them on a whole. Not very customizable . I always end up adding foam filter media in addition to the cartridge to make it more efficient .

Of you really want the best easiest lowest maintenance best choice .. A small canister would do the best job. Eheim is best IMO .. Sunsun is good too .. There are a few others I can't think of at the moment that do make small ones that would do a great job..

Also I'll add bettas do not have different requirements in filtration then any other normal non advanced fish.
( I have though kept many bettas with all those filters I've mentioned except a sunsun .. Only have run the sunsun on my African cichlid tank ... So far)

Oh and tetras filters are trash, the penguin bio wheel filters are ..meh . Not fantastic . And national geographic should have stick with the magazine and tv and left pet care alone..lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a aqua clear 20 and I adore it. I also have 2 topfin i10s which I'm waiting to replace. If I may make a suggestion, if you go with aqua clear just buy a box of replacment sponges (3 to a box) then cut one in half (baffle) and poke a hole in one and stick it on the filter uptake. Easy and Done and for the 20s the box of extra sponges is 3 to 5 dollars.

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Uptake yes that's a good way to keep the shrimp safe.. However shrimp bettas and tetras all do well without the baffle . And if you feel the need the flow rate is adjustable with aqua clears.. Another feature not on many filters .

·
Registered
176 Posts
I do both, personally, low flow and baffle. they seem to like it, but I will admit it might be overkill, all my bettas have crazy long tails so that might have something to do with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you so much! I have just two more questions. The first one is if an AquaClear filter can be used with a lid(the tank i have has one), and the second is if I should get a 20 or 30 for my 15 gallon tank.:)

·
Reference Team
706 Posts
Yes I agree . A 30 for the 15 is a good choice .
I run a 110 on my 55g, 30 on my 16g , 70 on my 46 g bit may switch to my extra 110 for that one and my 6g.. Well that one I altered ;-)... Motors are interchangeable in many of theirs.. So I have the fluval edge filter (fluval is the aquaclear filter ) but an aquaclear 30 motor lol.. And yes with a HM male betta with a flowing tail and he actually adjusted very well .. It did take a week unlike the usual 1-3days for bettas to get used to flow after being lazy with no flow . It's not much different then if you start jogging for a workout after never working out before you take a little while to adjust to it... But it's good for you :).. And your betta will chose when he does and does not want to swim in the higher flow spot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting a new tank

I am getting a new tank for my other beta, since the last one broke. I'm thinking of getting the Fluval Edge 12 gallon tank. This is by far the best looking tank I've seen. Would you recommend it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.