Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm at a dead end with filters. I have a 2.5 gallon tank and I feel like I have scoured the ends of Amazon to find a decent one. I can't even tell you how many reviews I've read but they all seem to say they'll be too strong for my fish! I finally settled on the Elite Underwater Filter but it was way too strong to the point where it started a tiny whirlpool and scared the heck out of my betta, even on the lowest setting! I tried to add a media bag filled with activated carbon to lessen the flow but that didn't help. Luckily I was able to get a full refund without even having to return the product! I went to Petco and they recommended the Whisper in-tank 3i but the reviews on amazon are making me hesitant for going through with that one. I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations! Preferably one thats not too big for my 2.5 gallon tank and (if its possible) one that I can use with the activated carbon (just so it doesn't go to waste)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello, I also have been looking into filters for my betta. Have you checked out sponge filters? They may be ok for a smaller tank

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you hate the look of sponge, and feel that even the weakest of powered filters aren't your thing, why not try and under gravel filter. The tech may be old, but you can't deny the results, and it promotes some good husbandry.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
If you hate the look of sponge, and feel that even the weakest of powered filters aren't your thing, why not try and under gravel filter. The tech may be old, but you can't deny the results, and it promotes some good husbandry.
I am so glad I'm not the only one who hates the look of sponge filters.

If you have sand substrate you can't use a UGF as it will clog...trust me, I learned it the hard way. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
2,743 Posts
I got a couple of sponge filters from American Aquarium Products (AAP) | Aquatic & Pond Supplies that I've cycled and put into one of my temp tanks. The reason I like the ones I got is that you can put an airstone in the uplift tube (Mishi used to like playing with bubbles too which was another plus).

I liked the idea of the Aquatop IF-201, it was compact and powerful, but the suction cups never held the filter to my tank for more than 30 mins and I couldn't get hold of anyone at the company, so I abandoned it.

Never used HOB filters, so I can't speak to those.

Edit : Wow, I like the new code for inserting html links on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
I got a couple of sponge filters from American Aquarium Products (AAP) | Aquatic & Pond Supplies that I've cycled and put into one of my temp tanks. The reason I like the ones I got is that you can put an airstone in the uplift tube (Mishi used to like playing with bubbles too which was another plus).

I liked the idea of the Aquatop IF-201, it was compact and powerful, but the suction cups never held the filter to my tank for more than 30 mins and I couldn't get hold of anyone at the company, so I abandoned it.

Never used HOB filters, so I can't speak to those.

Edit : Wow, I like the new code for inserting html links on the forum.
Aha! Suction cups are awful. Mine last about six months. So I glue a terra cotta saucer upside down to the bottom which weighs them down. Have also used large rocks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use Dennerle Nano corner filters in my betta tanks. These are meant for shrimp tanks, they are small, sit in the corner and the flow is fully adjustable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts