Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Betta a sponge filter and a little air pump, and I've been putting up with it's crap for too long. I have a real problem with white noise. It drives me absolutely insane. I didn't realize that an air pump would make so much noise (although it should have been anticipated :roll: ). Is there any effective trick to almost completely muffling the sound? If not, is a powerhead going to be just as obnoxious? (Note: I don't mind the sound of bubbles and water movement. I just HATE continuous buzzing or whirring...)
If you have any suggestions on quiet but gentle filters for Bettas, please drop a comment!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
My tetra whisper doesn't make too much noise as long as I keep it on a stable less vibrate-y surface. The cheapo air pump that came in one of my 2 gallon kits is as noisey as any thing, it lives on a potholder(for noise dampening) and hidden in a drawer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To help with the vibration sounds try putting a folded paper towel or a dish towel under it. This helped a lot when I had an air pump. As for the buzzing sound I don't think there's much you can do about that :/

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a tetra whisper too. I have it wrapped up in some extra fabric..I like to sew. I can still hear it, but it's not enough to bother me.
You may want to spend the money on a regular filter instead. I have aquaclear20 HOBs on three tanks and they are completely silent. I have one tank with an internal tetra mini something or other. It's also completely silent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts