Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my betta a little over 2 weeks now at at first he was fine but it now seems as if he's developing a fin biting problem. I currently am assuming that it is because there wasn't much stimulation in the tank except for some floating elodea and water wisteria. I've since added one of those decor barrels that have a lot of entrances and exits but he doesn't seem interested in it he likes to lay on top of the floating plants near the surface of the water. Am I right to assume that he was just under stimulated? What should I do if he doesn't seem to let up on the biting soon?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Might be a number of things that require some trial and error...like is he in a high traffic place that gets lots of noise / walking by / lots to look at etc? Maybe he is OVER stimulated. I would try making changes slowly and seeing what seems to help him mellow a bit. And then- of course - check water and treat for fin repair.

Good luck!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,225 Posts
His tank is too open and too bare. Betta are not open-water fish. They seem to do best in shaded/shadowy tanks with lots of plants and cover. Actually, few fish do well in open water where they are easy prey to other fish and non-aquatic predators.

I would pack it full of live or silk plants to the point you can't see your boy by just glancing at the aquarium. I've just ordered this plant and can let you know if it's Betta safe. It should be here by Friday. If it's suitable you can divide it into several pieces to fit a smaller tank.

Aquarium Decorations & Artificial Plants | Marineland 3-foot Artificial Bamboo Plant

Foster and Smith has lots of nice silk plants if you want to do a combination with live. I believe it is @DZIM who posted and made suggestions for good ones.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it was probably something like that. My sister was supposed to be bringing me some plants for my birthday but she forgot-.- so I've been holding off on buying more... the barrel I have in there now is pretty large and takes up a decent amount of space so hopefully that will bring him some comfort until I can get some more plants.

·
Registered
332 Posts
These days, I prefer to fill my tanks with as many artificial plants as will fit in the substrate to replicate the betta's natural habitat. It's been extremely effective and I would tell anyone else to do the same. Don't worry about never seeing your fish; I've discovered they become MORE active and visible in heavy foliage. It helps them feel more confident and consequently they will move around more.

Some cheap and great-looking silk plants I both use in my tanks and highly recommend:

The 12" version of this is ideal for a 10g or larger. I have 8 of these in my 10g and the topmost leaves touch the surface of the water. My bettas enjoy them greatly. They also look nothing like the product photo. The plants I received are vinelike and have leaves all the way down to the bottom of the stem. They're a great deal. I plan to buy more in the future.

Aquarium Decorations & Artificial Plants: Azoo Real Plant Artificial Lobelia cardinalis

This is a great plant for smaller tanks, or as accents to larger plants in larger tanks. I have 5 of these in my 3g. It gives it a very densely planted look. I often find my betta Mellow wedged between the leaves.

Artificial Aquarium Plants: Hagen Marina EcoScaper Lobelia Cardinalis

I currently only have 2 of these, both in my 3g, but highly recommend them. Mellow loves sitting on top of the flat leaves near the surface. They're not very dense in terms of foliage so I would suggest using them as accents or resting places unless you plan to buy a lot of them to fill out the tank.

Artificial Aquarium Plants: Hagen Marina EcoScaper Hydrocotyle Leucocephala

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a question on this...I bought some "betta bulbs" when I got Milo. I feel like I need to pull them out every time I do my weekly water change to pick off all of the dead bits, but is that really necessary? Because it's really making me consider switching to artificial plants, even though I love how the live ones look. But maybe I'm doing more than I need to be doing.

I do like the look of the ones that @DZIM shared, though. That's what's making me consider the switch even more.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,225 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, only artificial plants for me. I've killed every live plant I've tried to keep and I like to keep wasted money to a minimum. I recently took out the marimo someone on this forum gave me 2 years ago because they seemed to be declining rapidly in my 10g. Think it was to hot for them. Now they're in a jar in the fridge and will soon be desk plants only. In short, artificial plants are great. I recommend them highly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts