327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I had a snail, but he went missing a few days ago.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4-5 pellets a day, spread out throughout the day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime WC

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail fin looks like it's splitting in different places.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of, just got him on the 24th of last month.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Idk ^

Feather Blue Leaf Room Tail
Aquarium Powerhead Glass Filter
^Sorry these aren't good, they were taken with my phone.

Does it look like fin biting or tears? The only new thing I have added in there is the betta floating log. There is only silk plants in there too.
What to I need to get/do?

-Also he has red on the tips of his fins and up towards his body, he's had the red tint since I got him. Could that be fin rot?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, if anybody is wondering:
I just found the snail, he traveled 3 feet(to the opposite side of the dresser) and went into my printer. He was missing for 3 days, and he's alive. :-D
I was moving the printer (because I took up all the outlets right there with betta stuff lol) and he dropped out of it. I was surprised because I looked everywhere for him a few days ago!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It kinda looks more like tearing from the pictures. It doesn't take much to tear up a fin unfortunately. Biting will look sort of like U shape cuts into the fin.

The treatment is the same though; warm, clean water. If you feel it is developing into rot you can add AQ salt to try and curb it. Though with clean water he shouldn't develop rot.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, idk where he would be tearing it at.
He was fine till I added the floating betta log, i don't know how that would rip it. He really loves it though.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You could give the pantyhose test a try. Just run some panty hose over anything you're concerned about and if it catches the hose then it will tear the fins.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just gonna take it out for awhile, and see if his fins get better. I don't have any pantyhose lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts