Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mars the Betta
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my betta for 3 months. I have not been keeping up with cleaning his tank every week like i should, and I think that may contribute to why his fins are so bad. I am so stressed about this, I just don't know what to do. I put aquarium salt in his tank every time I clean it, but it doesn't seem to work. Please help me. (the pictures below are oldest to newest)

Plant Flower Organism Orange Petal
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Petal Flower

Water Plant Green Natural environment Organism

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I’m sorry your boy is having trouble.
If you could please fill out the form in this linked thread, you can simply copy and paste, so forum members can have the best chance of helping.

·
Registered
Mars the Betta
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes, a sponge filter
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? Usually 76-80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The sponge filter has one.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, but thinking bout getting a mystery snail to maybe cheer him up

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon COlor Inducing
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? twice a day, 2 each

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I am very sadly saying i am so inconsistent abt changing it. I try to once a week but im a big procrastinator.
What percentage of water did you change? 3/4ths
What is the source of your water?tap with dechlorinator
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum, also clean plats and everythings else
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? nothing else.API

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: have to do seperate test for that so ill get back to u soon.
Nitrite: 0.5
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): test strip doest have that

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? yes, his fins.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? NO, except he'll swim, look back and possibly bite his fifns, swim, repeat.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Salt every water change (which is not often enough)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not yet.
How long have you owned your Betta? almost 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No! He was perfect, one of the reasons i bout him. His fins wer in tiptop shape, moving in cup constantly, etc

·
Super Moderator
1,160 Posts
Thank you for being honest on your maintenance.

He is absolutely beautiful!

I‘d do four 25% water changes a couple of hours apart.

No rinsing of the décor or substrate necessary. Just vacuuming thoroughly to let your good bacteria stay attached to the surfaces of anything inside the tank.

You can pick 1 day per week and mark it in your diary on the phone or put a sticky on the tank. With a Smiley😁.

Could you maybe try to get another picture of him flaring so we could see his fins very clearly? He might be biting a bit. Just wanted to confirm.

·
Registered
Mars the Betta
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Thank you for being nice. I did a water change the night i submitted the form, and today i was n my bed looking at him, and then just NOW i go over to his tank to see he had taken a biggggg bite from his tail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts