Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my Benis fins suddenly smaller and went on reddit to ask advice. Most people said it was fin rot so I did water changes like crazy, added an almond leaf and tried stress guard. I just started maracyn when I happened to stumble upon an article here about fin biting. Do you think that's what's happening here? I have the test kit and his parameters are good, he's in a 4 gallon (pending his condition to improve I have a 15 planted gallon waiting for him), he's 1.5 years old, eating fine, has only silk plants with him, he's alone in his tank and I've never seen him bite a fin. If so any advice? Should I move him right away?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is him originally, got darker right away but the fins happened very quickly. When I noticed it originally it was subtle so I thought it was the decorations so I replaced everything with silk plants and added foam for the filter intake. I've actually already moved him into his new planted 15 gal since posting this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,808 Posts
There are a few common factors when Betta fin bite: Sparse and lights too bright. Betta are cover- and shade-loving fish. Long-time Betta owners have a saying: If you can see your Betta at a glance you don't have enough cover. :) I have an unproven theory that open tanks make fish feel vulnerable to predators.

I would consider more plants and especially those tall enough to shade a good portion of the tank. Use Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea to make his tank at least this dark:
Flower Plant Nature Leaf Sunlight

Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. If floating a leaf or teabag doesn't get the tank this dark you can brew a strong tea from either, treat and add to tank. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator.

For future, we see a lot of well-meant but erroneous information from that site. One of the big difference between rot and biting is the latter occurs seemingly overnight or over a short period of time while rot is normally slow going. Also, fin rot is 99% the result of filthy environment. This weakens a fish's immune system and allows bacteria to attack.

PS: I had one his color that actually stayed that way. Shocked the heck out of me. I kept waiting for him to turn but he never did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! This site really made it clear its not fin rot since it did happen so quickly. Plus his parameters are always good. The 15 gal I put him in now is planted and I'm hoping it grows in decent. He hangs out in the tall plants and behind the driftwood a lot. Except when I come near bc he's always hungry lol. I'll put more almond leaves in. I hope they grow back, he really can be very pretty when he's not all chewed up.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts