Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I just bought him from a local store. I just cycled my tank.
if you need more information about it:
pH:7.8pH
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:10ppm
Filter: Yes, but I turn it off at least 4 hours each day
Heater: Nope. Since I live in Southeast Asia. It's very hot in here.
Water Conditioners: The black water extract that my local store recommended me for a healthier fish.
and API Stress Coat+

Here's a photo of him.

Someone told me to buy some driftwood because it might be because of my pH level. But any more suggestions anyone?? :crying: I really want my betta to be healthy.. but he's very active, btw!! he looks like he's always dancing.. :laugh:

Attachments

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Driftwood and tannins (like from BW extract) help reduce pH and maybe straighten his fins. But I don't see any obvious fin-curling.

How does that filter baffle thing work?

·
Registered
384 Posts
You really shouldn't be turning off the filter, it shouldn't be turned off at all actually, the nitrates should ideally be 0 from what I recall reading, you're PH is actually good, would be preferable if it was 7 or even 7.5 though

Live plants help with Nirates

What's the tank temp, the KH, GH & size?
How often do you change the water and how much?

I also don't see any fin curling, please take into consideration that he does have longer fins(is he a halfmoon?) it just may look like it sometimes

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
The cycling bacteria colony will grow and adjust to accommodate a 4-hour daily filter shut-off. It's not optimum, but it won't kill the cycle.

Live plants help with nitrate by removing ammonia which then doesn't get converted to nitrate. Plants remove ammonia faster than cycling bacteria.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You really shouldn't be turning off the filter, it shouldn't be turned off at all actually, the nitrates should ideally be 0 from what I recall reading, you're PH is actually good, would be preferable if it was 7 or even 7.5 though

Live plants help with Nirates

What's the tank temp, the KH, GH & size?
How often do you change the water and how much?

I also don't see any fin curling, please take into consideration that he does have longer fins(is he a halfmoon?) it just may look like it sometimes
What's GH and KH?

I dunno really my tank temp.. Gonna buy one soon tho. but when I touch the water sometimes because I sometimes want him to jump a bit while feeding him, it's really warm.. I live in southeast asia so it doesn't really get cold here. and my AC temp at night is 27 Celsius.

Size? 3 gallon tank. It's not really heavily planted, but I have Hornwort which I got for free, and then anubias and a medium sized moss ball.

40-50% water change every week or when it is needed, I always observe their water if it's clean.

You could see little curls at the lower part of his tail, or I'm just paranoid?

Yes, he is a halfmoon and maybe a half of another breed too? I don't really know since I just bought him in a local pet store and I saw him in a small cup, and he was just staring at me at that time that's why I bought him. LOL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Driftwood and tannins (like from BW extract) help reduce pH and maybe straighten his fins. But I don't see any obvious fin-curling.

How does that filter baffle thing work?
So, it's probably my pH then? I'll try to take a photo again... zoomed in to the curls.. I don't even know if I'm just paranoid. but I really want him to be well..

Watch this:

That's where I got it, and it actually worked. lol. he sometimes stay in there when I turn off my filter.. oh and yea, I kind of burned those sharp edges with the bottle so that it would be smoother..

·
Super Moderator
22,173 Posts
Your boy's fins look fine; it almost looks as if he's a Feather Tail. I don't see any curling.

As stated above, his pH is fine. Mine live quite well in pH of 8.0-8.2. Betta are very adaptable fish and it's better to have steady pH that is on the high side (like mine) than fluctuating pH. Also, Nitrates do not have to be 0ppm. Anything under 20 is acceptable. I try to keep mine betwee 5-10.

Most important, you cannot tell how clean water is by looking at it. Even the most crystal clear water can contain deadly levels of Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrite. IME, a three gallon should have one or two 25% water changes and vacuuming per week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your boy's fins look fine; it almost looks as if he's a Feather Tail. I don't see any curling.

As stated above, his pH is fine. Mine live quite well in pH of 8.0-8.2. Betta are very adaptable fish and it's better to have steady pH that is on the high side (like mine) than fluctuating pH. Also, Nitrates do not have to be 0ppm. Anything under 20 is acceptable. I try to keep mine betwee 5-10.

Most important, you cannot tell how clean water is by looking at it. Even the most crystal clear water can contain deadly levels of Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrite. IME, a three gallon should have one or two 25% water changes and vacuuming per week.
Here is a photo of the curl that I saw. and here's the tail. I was staring at him again.. maybe he's just growing his fins out? but I just don't like that curl. it might be a start of something..

Ohh... hahaha! Sorry! but I always check it with the test kit still tho. every after 40% water change.. but I'll take note to that one or two 25% water changes per week. uhm... what if I have snails? Ramshorn snails? wouldn't I do more water changes?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,173 Posts
Fin curling is not something that ever worries me. Sometimes they devlop those curls while squished in a cup, sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's extremely hard water.

As long as the tank is kept clean and warm and he is active and eating he should be fine. It's when Betta stop moving, stop eating and their colors pale or they get stress stripes that you know something is going on.

Forgot: Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awww... poor bettas.. A lot of them are being sold in a cup. :( Can the curl be fixed tho? with the right care?

Thank you! :) :) Actually learning a lot of stuff here. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts