Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Akrin's plastic plant has been giving him horrible fin damage. I took it out and I was wondering if I should just let him heal on his own or get some medicen.

·
Registered
295 Posts
OK, Akrin's plastic plant has been giving him horrible fin damage. I took it out and I was wondering if I should just let him heal on his own or get some medicen.
Oldfishlady told me the best thing to do is keep up regular water changes with aquarium salt in the tank. :) It helped my betta a lot.
I really recommend this advice.
She is very experienced with fish!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Very true, clean fresh dechlorinated water from daily water changes is great medication.

Since this is a new injury without a secondary infection, I would treat him in his tank with just 50% daily water changes for 4-5 days back to back and if it looks to be a start of fin rot I would QT him and do 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal for 10 days.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, It doesn't look like it's going to progress to fin rot. Also is there any recommened dechlorinater's that could help heal his fin damage?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, It doesn't look like it's going to progress to fin rot. Also is there any recommened dechlorinater's that could help heal his fin damage?
I just use one that helps the stress coat. It has aloe in it and it's also a really good dechlorinator.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You will get the most for your money with Prime--it is concentrated and removes chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals, and detoxifies ammonia.

Am I the only one who thinks stress coat's marketing is a little weird? I dunno how swimming through a bunch of aloe is supposed to help a fish's slime coat. Fish don't really come across a lot of aloe in nature. Lol. Gives me a weird mental image of lotiony fish.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
I am with Adastra on that, IMO the less chemical additives the better, all those extra additives are not needed and of no real use IMO except to make the hobbyist feel like they are doing more for the fish...this is just my opinion..... and Prime is one of the better products on the market to use for the dechlorinating needs when on city water supply or having lot of heavy metal in your water IMO....

·
Registered
295 Posts
I just read the reviews on amazon after hearing it and agree with you both, pime is definitely the superior to my dechlorinater.
I'm glad you mentioned that too! I will have to pick some up soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so my mom told me if I change his water alot it would stress him out, and I only use salt if he had parasites which he doesnt. so I am really confused

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
i would change it dont listen to your mom and use the salt listen to the advice given to you

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Ok so my mom told me if I change his water alot it would stress him out, and I only use salt if he had parasites which he doesnt. so I am really confused
On one hand you have short term stress from a water changes and if done correctly it should not cause too much stress...

On the other hand-from no water changes/treatment- you have stress from ammonia, bad bacteria build up, injury that can progress to bacterial infection...all of which are more stressful and lowers immunity

Aquarium Salt is not just for parasites, short term use in the correct dosage can be very effective for treatments and less stressful than OTC medication.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thats alot of cons if I listen to my mom, then again she was the one that said they live in tiny wud puddles, in fact I told her about the klongs and she said "well whatdo you think happens when a drought comes by and the water get rly low?" she cant take it that shes wrong. Im going to listen to you guys. oh and Akrins getting better! alot of his fin is healed. all thats left is his anal fin which was the worst

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh and she wont let me breed my bettas downstairs, she said "theres no way your having water on carpet" I said put a peice of plastic under the stuff. she said nope, so I wont be breeding for awhile :evil:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well define "alot". If its in an unfiltered tank, you would have to change it alot almost on a dialy basis depending on your tank size. but yes, listen to the advice that they all are giving^^^

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its filtered and its a 1G And soon to lvlinup to a 3G

·
Registered
497 Posts
As for declorinator, I recommend Jungle: COMPLETE WATER CONDITIONER. It's a great water declorinater that also promotes the healing of wounds and infection. Don't forget the saltbaths and daily water changes- I have a male who has had half of his tail bitten off (Aggresive female) and is almost completly healed up!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow thats alot of cons if I listen to my mom, then again she was the one that said they live in tiny wud puddles, in fact I told her about the klongs and she said "well whatdo you think happens when a drought comes by and the water get rly low?" she cant take it that shes wrong. Im going to listen to you guys. oh and Akrins getting better! alot of his fin is healed. all thats left is his anal fin which was the worst

Ask her how she survives when the economy sucks? (She lives but life is a lot better when the economy is thriving.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts