Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My male veiltail betta, Steve, was experiencing some fin fraying on his tail fin about 4 days ago. I added some aquarium salt after a water change and it looked like it was getting better for a couple of days and this morning it was almost healed, but then tonight it got bad within the span of about 40 minutes. When he first started fraying there wasn’t any discoloration in his fins. Can anyone help me out?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes, Top Fin Filter-10g
Does it have a heater? yes, Top Fin 10w
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari betta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? top fin bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? twice a day, about three pellets each feeding

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 15-20%
What is the source of your water? my dorm's tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I vacuum every time
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API stress coat+ and top fin pH decrease because the tap water tends to be basic/alkaline

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: unknown.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 150
Alkalinity (KH): 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about 4 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? at first it was just an all around fraying at the tips of his tail. there wasn't any discoloration. Now it's as pictured.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He seemed to be hiding in his skull cave slightly more than usual
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? added a little less than a tablespoon of aquarium salt. I started him on API fin and body cure yesterday.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? I haven't had him very long. He hasn't had any issues until now.
How long have you owned your Betta? I got him around Sept. 14th. almost a month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not to my knowledge. the jar he was in was very dirty though.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Can you please fill out this form. It will help determine what's going on with Steve. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you please fill out this form. It will help determine what's going on with Steve. Thank you.
I updated the post.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Thank you for filling out the form.

Steve appears to be fin biting. No one knows why the bite so anything we tell you is theory. On this Forum, many biters are in tanks that are open and brightly lit. Can you post a photo of his tank?

Betta are shade-loving fish that need lots of plants be they silk, live or soft plastic. They are not open-water fish.

Both Indian Almond Leaves and plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I suggest you float either a teabag or leaf in his tank. The water should turn brown with the tannins. It's been way too many years since I lived in a dorm so I'm sure they've changed. :) If you can make a strong "tea" of either and pour it in the tank that would get the tannins to him sooner. Use conditioner before you add to his tank. If you have a refrigerator, leftovers can be stored. You want his tank to be a darkish brown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for filling out the form.

Steve appears to be fin biting. No one knows why the bite so anything we tell you is theory. On this Forum, many biters are in tanks that are open and brightly lit. Can you post a photo of his tank?

Betta are shade-loving fish that need lots of plants be they silk, live or soft plastic. They are not open-water fish.

Both Indian Almond Leaves and plain, decaffeinated Rooibos Tea have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I suggest you float either a teabag or leaf in his tank. The water should turn brown with the tannins. It's been way too many years since I lived in a dorm so I'm sure they've changed. :) If you can make a strong "tea" of either and pour it in the tank that would get the tannins to him sooner. Use conditioner before you add to his tank. If you have a refrigerator, leftovers can be stored. You want his tank to be a darkish brown.
This is what his tank looks like right now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In addition to what RussellTheShihTzu said, that upright log-looking thing could be put to better use if you flipped it on its side so that your Betta can hide in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts