Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, new here. Not super new to the Betta world, but definitely still learning. My current dude is a veiltail, who has always been super active, and interested in everything. Currently in a 5G tank with two ghosts and a nerite. Recently, and literally with short span of a few hours, he started using the things in his tank to keep him from floating up. He's still fairly active and making bubble nests. I fasted for 3 days, and he still has an appetite. And now, the ends of his tail seem to have some melt to them. I added IAL leaf and extract to the water, and he's due for a water change tomorrow, which I'll be doing 1st thing in the morning. But, I'm just honestly confused how it came on so fast. Can someone confirm is this is melt, and what I can possible do?

Saw this on another post:
Housing
What size is your tank? 5G
What temperature is your tank? 78.9 currently with no heater
Does your tank have a filter? Yes 10g filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost and 1 nerite

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily, 2-3 flakes

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% and sometimes more if I use the siphon.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No, unfortunately not. I need to get another API kit.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin melt, possible? Other than that, no.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active, fins are "clumping"
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? IAL and Extract in water
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not with me.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him maybe 2 months?

Plant Leaf Petal Terrestrial plant Fish

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
He does look a tad bloated, you may want to switch up the food to a pellet and add some frozen food to his diet as well. Do you have a before picture of his fins? It is possible that there is the start of some melt. Sometimes their fins can get that way from hard water also. You might want to take your water to a pet store to be tested. Make sure you ask them for the exact numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts