Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
For the past four months my betta has been losing his fins. At first I thought that he had finrot so I treated him with aquarium salt and his fins began to grow back. A fortnight later, i noticed that part of his fins had gone missing again, so i retreated him. eventually i got really frustrated having to constantly re-treat him. I ended up just adding salt into his main aquarium ( I was giving him salt baths in a hospital tank). This seemed to help a bit but his fins weren't quite back to their original state. At the moment, I have been on summer break for five weeks and during that time I have spent quite a bit of time at home- during this time, his fins have yet again nearly fully regrown. The day before yesterday, I went out and came back the next morning and his fins were nearly completely gone- he looks kind of like a crowntail but he is actually a veiltail. I checked his tank and in the filter to see if they had been torn off but i couldn't see any evidence anywhere. I am pretty sure that he is nipping his tail but i don't know how to stop it. I am really at a loss as to what to do about him- any ideas about how to stop tail biting?
Thanks in advance. :)

Housing-
What size is your tank?- 20 liters
What temperature is your tank?- 27 degrees Celsius
Does your tank have a filter?- yes- it is really weak and set to the lowest flow the output also has a baffle.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?- no
Is your tank heated?- Usually, but currently due to the fact that it is summer and the temperature stays between 27-28 degrees Celsius, it is off.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?- None
The tank has live plants such as java moss, java ferns and another thing that looks like a small amazon sword, there is also an ornament that looks like a log, a jar with some colored gravel that he rests in and a betta hammock.
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?- Aquatopia betta bits and frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets, twice a day and bloodworms once every second day instead of the pellets.
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?- twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?- 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?- Stress coat and an indian almond leaf every second week
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes,
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
pH: 7.5
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?- His fins disappear in a very short space of time.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't at all- he is still active, constantly swimming around and he comes to the front of the tank whenever I am in view of the tank. He is also the most aggressive beta I have ever owned- i can't even keep a snail in the aquarium as he flares and attacks them constantly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?- Four months ago- when i returned from a week long holiday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? With stress coat, Indian almond leaf and salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill- Other than his tail, no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I "rescued" him from a pets shop nine months ago- he was fully grown.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Can you get a picture on your phone or some other way? it doesn't have to be fully clear, just something that lets us see the shape of the damage.

The shape of the tears can indicate how they are forming

1 - 2 of 2 Posts