Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 year old male plaket is nipping his fins! This has only recently happend after the death of his tank mate who was a singler female guppy that came with him I know I should get aquatic plants but my mother wont let me so I work with what I can his ph and ammonia levels are
Plant Fish supply Water Pet supply Organism

Plant Branch Botany Wood Window

fine and all decorations are sanded down and I resanded them also but could it be because of depression i just want to get to the bottom of why or what is causing it I change of the layout of the tank

·
Registered
Flash
1,000 Posts
Hi,

So sorry about your betta. He is quite impressive, and 4 years old, too!!! And he is beautiful!

I think you have figured out the trigger for his behavior, the loss of his tank mate. Some other triggers that I have found over the years with some of my bettas include rebelling against the fasting day, frustration about seeing a reflection in the aquarium glass, or just frustration over having the carry around a heavy tail. It can sometimes be hard to figure out the reason behind the behaviour, so you are already ahead in that respect!

You could try to introduce a new tank mate, if your parent is ok with that. Nerite snails are usually good with bettas.

You could also try to add some Indian almond leaves (catappa leaves) which will tint the water brown, but which provides tannins which have some slight antibacterial and antifungal properties. And bettas just love tannins.

The thing about fin nipping that you would want to be very careful about would be if he were to develop fin rot, so frequent small water changes, like every other day, would keep his water pristine.

Hope this helps! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts