Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
umm... fin rot... again... I don't know why!

King Dedede's got fin rot once again! I've been trying AQ salt for the last 3 days, but nothing is working! I noticed his tail has been "sliced" into 2 parts. the water is also clean... I can't figure out what's happening and the fin rot is slowly becoming severe! I'll add some pictures later, but for now, can someone just please help? :-? :| :cry: :shock:

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
A split is either from mishandling, or an injury on a plant. If the edges are bitten out, it would be him biting but a split is caused by something.
It's not fin rot .. yet. Fin rot develops overtime in dirty water after a split or bite. It should heal itself just keep the water nice, clean and warm.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A split is either from mishandling, or an injury on a plant. If the edges are bitten out, it would be him biting but a split is caused by something.
It's not fin rot .. yet. Fin rot develops overtime in dirty water after a split or bite. It should heal itself just keep the water nice, clean and warm.
but the tips of his tail are black! doesn't that mean fin rot?? (also, I have no plants)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
It's hard to say without pictures. How often have you been changing the water since you noticed the problem?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hard to say without pictures. How often have you been changing the water since you noticed the problem?
I only changed the water for AQ salt

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
If the edges are black, he's got finrot probably. This is not a new problem though, chronic water conditions led to this. The sliced sections can certainly succumb to infection, meanwhile, you will NEED a heater to warm his water to the required temperature.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the edges are black, he's got finrot probably. This is not a new problem though, chronic water conditions led to this. The sliced sections can certainly succumb to infection, meanwhile, you will NEED a heater to warm his water to the required temperature.
I use a light to heat the tank. I can't get a heater right now. also, what do the words chronic and succumb mean? and what's the required temp??

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Chronic means long term.
Succumb means that the slice in the tail will eventually get rot unless you tackle it more aggressively:
Get a thermometer (since you can't get a heater) and try to get the water to stay at a constant 78-80F on the thermometer. The problem with heating it with a lamp is that when you turn off the lamp, the water gets cold again therefore the water is not stable enough to keep him healthy.
Unfortunately when something like this happens to their tails all we can do is keep the water clean and warm. Since you cannot go get aggressive medications which will knock out his black-edged rot, you will have to just make him as comfortable as you can.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chronic means long term.
Succumb means that the slice in the tail will eventually get rot unless you tackle it more aggressively:
Get a thermometer (since you can't get a heater) and try to get the water to stay at a constant 78-80F on the thermometer. The problem with heating it with a lamp is that when you turn off the lamp, the water gets cold again therefore the water is not stable enough to keep him healthy.
Unfortunately when something like this happens to their tails all we can do is keep the water clean and warm. Since you cannot go get aggressive medications which will knock out his black-edged rot, you will have to just make him as comfortable as you can.
okay. I DO have a thermometer. now... saying I'll have to make my betta comfortable... how do I do that?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so.... um.... how DO I make my betta comfortable??

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Warm water, balanced diet, places to hide, silk plants, gentle filter flow...all these usually mean a happy betta. Chronic finrot I would imagine is from a mix of dirty water and stress, which is why it's advised to make him comfy. A fish that's stressed can easily get sick.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Ask for a small tank and heater for christmas. A heater is essential, Little Leaf. It will really make the difference in your fish. A heater will keep the water a nice stable temperature so he can get better, it will only cause more stress to warm the tank with a light during the day and then turn it off at night.

You have a thermometer, what number is the red line at?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ask for a small tank and heater for christmas. A heater is essential, Little Leaf. It will really make the difference in your fish. A heater will keep the water a nice stable temperature so he can get better, it will only cause more stress to warm the tank with a light during the day and then turn it off at night.

You have a thermometer, what number is the red line at?
79 Fahrenheit

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Warm water, balanced diet, places to hide, silk plants, gentle filter flow...all these usually mean a happy betta. Chronic finrot I would imagine is from a mix of dirty water and stress, which is why it's advised to make him comfy. A fish that's stressed can easily get sick.
I'm not allowed to buy plants.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What size is the tank, do you have a filter and how often/how much do you make water changes?
tank size is 5 gallons, I have a filter, I make water changes once a week. ;-)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again... I feel like a fishkiller... I'm not allowed to buy the following listed below:

Plants (and silk plants)
A heater... for now...
a snail/tankmate...
A hiding place!?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts