Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum, because I have no idea what else to do for my betta.

I began noticing that his fins were looking shredded about a month ago, and so I began doing my research to try and figure out what was going on. One of the most common things I came up with was fin rot, and it looked like that was it. I finally decided to try treating it with aquarium salt instead of going down the medication route as I've seen mixed opinions on those. I stopped the salt treatments after 10 days as directed, and I've noticed no improvement in his fins. If anything, they've just continued to get worse.

I'm just concerned because his coloring hasn't improved, and his fins are becoming increasingly stringy and tattered looking. Does this sound/look like fin rot? If so, how do I treat it, since the salt treatments didn't seem to work at all?

I've had him since he was a baby, and so the fact that I was able to keep him alive and doing well for so long has of course caused me to grow really attached to him, and I just want to do what's going to help him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I'm going to answer the forum questions list and I've attached a picture. It's not the best, but it shows how his fins almost look like sticks now. Thank you!

Housing
What size is your tank? One gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No, but it is a consistent 80 degrees
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day at this time, since he won't eat twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Normally I was changing it one a week, now I'm doing it almost every day due to the suggestions of people for fin rot.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I've been doing a 100% water change based on research. I was previously doing a 75% water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I tested it a few weeks ago and everything was normal. I don't have the exact parameters at the moment, though.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His color looks dull, and his fins are tattered and ragged looking. Some look a lot shorter.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He has been spending more time in the bottom of the tank in a corner and doesn't eat much anymore.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried treating him with aquarium salt and water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I am aware of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? He is a little over a year old.

ALSO- I want to add that I've noticed what looks like a white grain of sand on his head. I can't attach a picture because it keeps disappearing and then it reappears days or weeks later. I looked it up and everyone is saying it's probably ick, but it's not multiple spots, and it keeps coming back to approximately the same place. I was watching him a few days ago and I noticed this white dot with what looked like a clearish string behind it. It came down through the water behind him as he swam and landed on his back. Could I also be dealing with parasites?

(Just want to mention that I had plastic plants in the tank, but I removed them as I wondered if it might have been initially causing the fin damage. He liked to float above them.)

Sorry for the overload of information!

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Do you have a before picture? I don't see any rot on him but if his fins are tattered he could be ripping them on the decor or biting.

In a 1 gallon tank you should be doing daily water changes anyway - weekly changes aren't enough and it's probably what led to the rot. It would be ideal if you could continue to do daily water changes even after he's healed up or upgrade to a bigger tank :)

You can't feed him a diet of solely bloodworms. He needs a good quality pellet such as Omega One or NLS as his main diet with blodworms as a treat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a before picture of him, unfortunately. I attached a better one of him to this post because the first one wasn't a very good view of all of him, but it keeps showing up sideways. Sorry about that.
I'll continue to change his water everyday and will start feeding him one of the pellet brands that you suggested and see if he improves. The only thing I'm still a little confused on is the white spot that keeps showing up on his face. I don't think it's ich because there's only one, and it isn't always visible on him.
Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it :)

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts