Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I purchased a crown betta fish about 4 months ago as a small companion and didn’t really give much thought into it, I bought the typical small betta kit and kept him there. Gradually caring more for the betta, his tank grew into what it is today, a 10 gallon planted tank with shrimp, snails, a female betta. last week the male betta started developing white color around his scales and fin rot. The tank is filtered, has regular weekly water change 25-30% at about 78° f are there any recommendations to help my little betta out? Please advise

thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Need to see a current photo. But know that female Betta should not be kept with male Betta. They will decimate a male Betta's fins and body; especially at night when the lights are off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a current photo, I was unaware of the incompatibility of male and female bettas, I thought it was only two male bettas. That explains why his fins started to “rot” when I introduced him to his new companion. Nevertheless I have placed the male betta in a separate tank for now to treat his fungus with that blue medicine, I do not however, have a mini heater for the small quarantine tank, do you see this as a possible issue in his getting better from the ich?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a current photo, I was unaware of the incompatibility of male and female bettas, I thought it was only two male bettas. That explains why his fins started to “rot” when I introduced him to his new companion. Nevertheless I have placed the male betta in a separate tank for now to treat his fungus with that blue medicine, I do not however, have a mini heater for the small quarantine tank, do you see this as a possible issue in his getting better from the ich?
this is a photo a week after I got him, he didn’t have any white ich like he does now

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
He actually looks fine to me. That's why I thought it was an older photo.

I don't see Ich or a fungus. But, to be sure, can you circle what you think is a fungus? Ich looks like someone has sprinkled salt all over the Betta's body. The white around his scales is natural coloring. I'll bet what you thought was fin rot was the female biting his fins. Fin rot is 99% the product of unclean living conditions. With your care I seriously doubt he has fin rot, anyway.

The best medicine for him right now is clean water. I like Rooibos Tea (plain) and Indian Almond Leaves for their mild antibacterial properties. Brew a strong "tea" and add to tank until it is brown in color. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. I also like SeaChem StressGuard for its antiseptic properties.

Until you can get a heater for the other tank I would put the female in the tank without a heater or float her in a covered container in the 10. Punch holes in cover for air. This will help keep her warmer. An alternative is to divide the 10.

If I can think of anything else, I'll post.

Cannot see him clearly enough in the second photo to comment. However, Betta do change colors. Some slightly and some dramatically.

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
I do not see any Ich on him, nor do I see any fungus. That pattern on his body is his normal coloring.

Yes, the cold water of the hospital tank will impede his healing. If you can move the hospital tank to a room that's around 78 to 80 degrees and the temperature of the water should stay around 76 to 78 and be O.K. for him.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have circled all the white I see on his body as he was never white, so I am unsure if this is just a natural color change, I did add plants and wood to the tank without first scrubbing down well, I soaked the wood for 24 hours prior to introducing to the tank. So if I understand correctly, the betta looks healthy?

I will try to get the ingredients for the tea tomorrow, do you recommend any specific brand for the rooibus?

Thank you both for your input

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi

Your fish hasn't got Ich, if it did it would look like this.

However his fins do not look the best, this will improve with proper tank conditions.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
That is his natural coloring and the spots at the dorsal actually have a name: Wild Spots. BTW, he may continue changing and become more "metallic."

Yes, he looks to be healthy. And, any brand of Rooibos will work. It is naturally decaffeinated and should be labeled as such. It must have no additives, flavors, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
Im looking at the tips of his dorsal fin.
My guess is that's where the female, he had him in with, was targeting. It might also be the beginnings of fin rot, but with clean water, some Rooibos tea or Indian Almond Leaves, and less stress he should heal up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts