Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my betta, Donnie has fin rot (I've only had him for a few days, I think he probably had it before I got him I just didn't notice). I have put the required dosage of aquarium salt in his tank, should this be enough. How long should it take to heal? (very small grey patch and very small stringy part of veil tail).
:-?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi, I am unsure how long it would take. My local store told me to start on the salt on Feb 15 and to continue until the fins look healed. Also to add the salt ONLY to the new water change, not the amount for the entire tank. DISSOLVE completely before adding to the tank.

I dont see much difference on my little guy so far. The fin deterioration was the result of bad advice and the ammonia basically ate them up. Terrible. I am hoping with the continued regiment of salt and changing water out every 10 days, that he will eventually heal. Good luck, hard to see them like this.

·
Registered
551 Posts
To treat mild fin rot you do 100% water changes daily and add the recommended dose of AQ Salt after each change. Do this for no more than 10 days. Aquarium salt can cause problems to your betta after prolonged use.

Make sure you're only adding salt after a water change because AQ salt DOES NOT evaporate, so it builds up.

If it becomes severe, I've read that people suggest going down the medication route but I can't remember which type.

·
Registered
203 Posts
To treat mild fin rot you do 100% water changes daily and add the recommended dose of AQ Salt after each change. Do this for no more than 10 days. Aquarium salt can cause problems to your betta after prolonged use.

Make sure you're only adding salt after a water change because AQ salt DOES NOT evaporate, so it builds up.

If it becomes severe, I've read that people suggest going down the medication route but I can't remember which type.
For moderate-severe fin rot I have relied on a few medications in conjunction with the salt and daily 20-30% water changes in small QT/Hospital tanks.

Tetra All-In-One Lifeguard is a good starting place for mild-moderate fin rot that hasn't shown improvement with AQ salt alone. It is a non-antibiotic/therapeutic medication.

National Geographic Herbal Bacterial and Fungal Relief for mild fin rot, also a great, gentle option.

For really bad cases of fin rot, Kanaplex is the most commonly used antibiotic available to the hobbyist.

Triple Sulfa is also another good one.

I could literally list a bunch but these are a good starting place!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I use aquarium salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. This is the preventive level and I never get finrot on any of my 300 betta. The treatment level is higher. 1 tablespoon per gallon. imho this level should only be done in a salt bath lasting minutes let alone 10 days. If you are still having issues try methylene blue baths which are very safe also done in container outside aquarium.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts