Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bettas has had this fin rot for a while and it just wont go away.:-(
I've read that trimming the tail would help get rid of the problem. Is this true?

Info:
I've been treating him with antibiotics ( API® T.C. Tetracycline Freshwater Bacterial Infection Treatment)
He's currently in a tank less than one gallon, but that is only temporary at the moment.
His tank is heated, but it is too small for any filter right now.
Water changes happen every 5 days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A less than one gallon tank, no filter, with water changes every 5 days?! Holy smokes, my friend. That water needs at least 50% out daily. Without a filter, that ammonia from their poop will attack them so fast, it's no wonder the fins are disappearing. What wattage is your heater that you're using? >1 gallon tanks should only be using a 3-5 watt heater; always, always. I would almost even take out the heater, it seems to be distracting you from what he absolutely needs. In this case, a filter should be your first priority coupled with frequent water changes.

MelaFix will help with the fin rot. I could see the medication you are already treating him with also helping in that situation.

P.S There is a sticky thread that says "READ BEFORE POSTING" and includes an entire schematic of the information you should be providing for us here. I would fill that out, and post it here. Right now, I am throwing my less than professional opinion at you about your situation based off the few notes you've made about the case at hand, here. They are valid recommendations, however. You will not need to look far and talk to many folks here to let you know those conditions spell "death-to-the-fish" all over them.

I hope your fish recovers, my friend. Get back to us with that sizable amount of detailed information; take the time now to do it since you've already invested in the fish itself. You will be glad in the long run.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? >1 gallon. He'll be moved into a divided 10 gallon this week.
What temperature is your tank? 80* F
Does your tank have a filter? No. Not yet.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None yet.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 4 days to a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%- 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime Water Conditioner, Stress coat, and medicine if needed.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins shortening and having pinholes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I first bought him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. With antibiotics.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Less than a year

·
Registered
222 Posts
Can you please post pictures? 9 times out of 10 "fin rot emergencies" actually turn out to be fin biting.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I do agree pictures would be useful, but while you try to get those I can offer some words on your treatment.

I suggest doing the course of antibiotics (never stop a treatment halfway) but then end them, fin rot is caused by fungi not bacteria so it wont do much good for it.

For the moment i suggest adding AQ salt to the water (as long as the medication says it can be used (if it says freshwater only dont use it until done) which will slow down any fungal growth and naturally cleanse the damaged fin ends while they heal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
(Sorry for the late reply. )
This is a picture of Zuko, my fin rot betta. This picture was taken today.
The rot doesn't look as bad like it did when it first started.

·
Super Moderator
22,728 Posts
Looks more like biting to me and not fin rot.

To post photos directly hit "Go Advanced" and scroll down to "Manage Attachments."

Many people are using their phones and can't always follow links.

PS: He's my favorite pattern. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts