Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had this little guy for a week but today I noticed that his anal fin looked a little scraggly and had black on the tips. I'm not sure if this is normal for him or not because I haven't had him for very long. He is very active and eating fine. what do you guys think? Am I being overly paranoid?:shock:

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm kind of a newb here, but if i'm seeing your picture right, it looks like you have a plastic plant in your tank. If so, you want to make sure that it's not snagging his fins cause it could very well be the culprit and be cutting his fin. To do a test to see if it's not too sharp, run some pantyhose against it. If they snag the pantyhose, they are going to snag your fish's fins. I heard it's best to get silk or live plants for Betas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plant is not the cause. I've already checked it for any sharp edges. Also He has had the black since I got him a week ago. That's why I'm not sure if it is normal for him or not.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Doesn't look like fin rot to me. Fin rot usually causes the fins to curl. If you aren't seeing any curling with really black edges I wouldn't worry to much. Fin rot looks really curled.... or maybe the better word is melted? I don't know but you get the picture. Betta's will change color often when put in clean water. It's pretty normal for a betta to change color. I have a chocolate halfmoon boy who got black edging after I got him. Not fin rot. A good example of a color changer is my girl Peaches. I have had her for about a month or so and she went from a peachy white to solid white with a blue sheen and a redish tail. Also, if you want to see some color changes go to the search function on this site and for keywords try "marblers" or "color change". Some people on here have some good example photos.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Has he always had that slight curling on his Anal (bottom fin) I just noticed that. I didn't pay attention to your original post. I am not that observent:oops:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the part that has me a little worried. Hr has always had it, but like I said I've only had him for a week so I'm not sure if it's normal for him.

Peaches sounds like a super cute betta.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
She is, I was worried about putting her in with my sorority girls because she is only about an inch and a half long and a couple of them are about 2 and a half inches but she holds her own. She takes care of business and won't be bullied. I wish I could get a good pic of her but she shows up different on camera... She shows up blue. weird. I also have another girl that is a silver/pink/red plakat but she shows up light pink on camera. It's strange these bettas. Anyways back to your beautiful boy, I do know that some curling in a crowntail is normal because certain types of water (hard or soft) CAN cause a slight curling in the fins but I would PM a moderator and ask them to look at this thread just in case. i have never seen the normal curling on just one fin. He should be okay though. It doesn't look that bad to me and it sounds like you are on top of it and thats the important thing. I can't tell you how many bettas on here had fin rot when they were first bought and they were fine after some treatment. One of my own in particular, Red had severe fin rot. I have had him almost a year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would PM a moderator and ask them to look at this thread just in case.

I'm kinda new to this forum so I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I know how to PM, but how do I find the moderator to PM them? How do I know who is one? I live in Indiana and our water is always hard no matter what. That is what the people at the store tell me anyways.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Okay, PM OldFishLady. She is very helpful and almost always the first one people think of to contact first. There's a couple of ways you can get on her site. You can go all the way down the main page on the left and see if she is online in that list. If she isn't online she will be on the moderator page. Or I believe you can run a search on her name up top and you should find her somewhere in those posts. hang on, I will see if I can get you a link to her page that will work.... *steps out*

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=17234

^that is the public profile link to OldFishLady. she isn't online right now but she will answer quick.

If you go down in the main page like I said you will see that box in the bottom left that shows who is online. The ones in bold are moderators and dramaqueen and Indjo are online. If you click on them they will answer too. Just give them your threads name so they can find it.

·
Banned
27,599 Posts
I think rays curling on crowntails has something to do with ph or something but I'm not 100% sure about that. From the pics he doesn't look like he has finrot. The black may be just a part of his coloring. He's very pretty by the way.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hey here's the two girls I was talking about in my post. I was just playing photographer with my new camera. Peaches turned out blue like I was saying an my pink girl was a little darker but the colors still didn't turn out like their real life colors. Thought this may make you smile. You can see the red with this camera a little on peaches but she isn't that blue in person. She is more white. and margeret is pure silver with a pink/red patch. On camera she looks more pink/red all over. Thanks for this post. It reminded me I haven't taken any pictures of my fish with my new camera. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol! they are super cute. It looks like peaches has a lot of cellophane on her (or at least that's what I think it's called). That's probably why she looks blue on the camera. I read that a good way to get their true colors is to take their pictures in the natural light outside. I think I might try that on Alejandro's next water change. It's a lot easier to get a good picture whaen they are in a small container rather than their actual tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This might be a weird question, but is it normal for a betta to be super active? I have only had two other betta's before Alejandro and they were really lazy. They didn't swim around all that much, but this new guy is zipping all over the tank all of the time.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I may try that outside thing next time I have to cup them or maybe this weekend if I get bored.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This might be a weird question, but is it normal for a betta to be super active? I have only had two other betta's before Alejandro and they were really lazy. They didn't swim around all that much, but this new guy is zipping all over the tank all of the time.
Well, both my bettas are quite active, but I think they're just really happy to be out of those tiny cups :mrgreen: They're very curious and like attention. I gave them lots of plants and things to play in.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
crowntail fins are VERY picky about their water quality. too soft or hard, and they'll shrivel up, curl up, or melt off. it's not rot, just... picky rays. the black at the edges looks like natural coloring to me. all-in-all, his fins look great to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.