Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just noticed last night while doing a water change that my Betta's fins were white. I can't tell if this is just my Betta's coloring and fin shape or if it is fin rot, i would like to know before i start medicating with salt and things like that but would also like to start ASAP if it is fin rot. My Betta lives in a 10 gallon tank with no other tank mates, silk plants, a sponge filter and a heater that is always set to 78/79 degrees. I try to do 10 percent water changes once a week but I will admit that every once and a while he will go 2 weeks without a water change. The first picture is from about 2 months ago and the second picture is last night. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

You won´t need any medication for your sweet Double Tail right now.
However, could you fill out the linked form to have all relevant information concerning your fish in a short reference form.
If you manage to get a picture of him flaring and one of his entire tank, that would be awesome!

Thank you very much.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Fill out this form so we can...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallon
Does it have a filter? A sponge filter with a bubbler low enough so there is no current
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 88/89 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes one air stone in the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tank mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon pro pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him 6-8 pellets once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week 10%, every so often once every two weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 10%
What is the source of your water? Well
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum once a month otherwise dip
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime conditioner and sometimes stressguard

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Numbers from yesterday's test because I'm at work :)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.7
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH): my kit cant test these sorry :(, if it is important to my Bettas health I'll definitely look into getting one

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? I believe the fins are more ragged and have white edges
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? None, he seems happy and playful
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Sorry about that! I have also never seen my Betta flare so I'm not sure I could get a picture of that, he seems very chill with his own reflection and just wants fed haha

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Any update on whether this is fin rot? This is a picture of him today. I did a few water changes last week to maybe cycle something out of the water if it is fin rot. Thanks :)

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
It doesn’t look like fin rot but I would put Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos tea in his water for stress and anti fungal if he is biting his fins to help keep them from getting infection. He is a pretty guy.

The tannins are very good for bettas they like dark water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn’t look like fin rot but I would put Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos tea in his water for stress and anti fungal if he is biting his fins to help keep them from getting infection. He is a pretty guy.

The tannins are very good for bettas they like dark water.
Oh wonderful thank you! I'll definitely do that! Hopefully my baby will have a planted tank soon!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Your welcome. They like covering not just in the tank but on top also so if you can get the almond leaves and let them float too. Hornwort is a nice coverage plant but if you can’t find it you can get stem plants and just float them on top until they start getting roots and them stick them in the substrate. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
Buddy, Buzz, Honey, Brody and Simon
344 Posts
Hi! I just noticed last night while doing a water change that my Betta's fins were white. I can't tell if this is just my Betta's coloring and fin shape or if it is fin rot, i would like to know before i start medicating with salt and things like that but would also like to start ASAP if it is fin rot. My Betta lives in a 10 gallon tank with no other tank mates, silk plants, a sponge filter and a heater that is always set to 78/79 degrees. I try to do 10 percent water changes once a week but I will admit that every once and a while he will go 2 weeks without a water change. The first picture is from about 2 months ago and the second picture is last night. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!! View attachment 1032221 View attachment 1032222
He’s beautiful! I agree that the IAL are excellent. I also float pennywort and dwarf water lettuce. I love floating bacopa until they develop roots and then plant them. Same with red ludwigia. Hornwort is also an excellent floater and my betta loves cuddling up in them at night. There’s so many options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He’s beautiful! I agree that the IAL are excellent. I also float pennywort and dwarf water lettuce. I love floating bacopa until they develop roots and then plant them. Same with red ludwigia. Hornwort is also an excellent floater and my betta loves cuddling up in them at night. There’s so many options.
Thanks so much! I've gotten some Indian almond extract from the pet store and have a few leaves coming from Amazon! I really appreciate the plant help i can always use it haha!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10 gallon
Does it have a filter? A sponge filter with a bubbler low enough so there is no current
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 88/89 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes one air stone in the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No tank mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon pro pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed him 6-8 pellets once a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week 10%, every so often once every two weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 10%
What is the source of your water? Well
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum once a month otherwise dip
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime conditioner and sometimes stressguard

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Numbers from yesterday's test because I'm at work :)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.7
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH): my kit cant test these sorry :(, if it is important to my Bettas health I'll definitely look into getting one

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? I believe the fins are more ragged and have white edges
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? None, he seems happy and playful
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Sorry about that! I have also never seen my Betta flare so I'm not sure I could get a picture of that, he seems very chill with his own reflection and just wants fed haha
One more thing, I have had excellent results with a product by Kordon’s called Fish Protector (same with my Mom’s betta - he’s a fin biter). Here’s a link if you’d like to read up on it.

Amazon.com : KORDON #31456 Fish Protector for Aquarium, 16-Ounce : Aquarium Treatments : Pet Supplies

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Thanks so much! I've gotten some Indian almond extract from the pet store and have a few leaves coming from Amazon! I really appreciate the plant help i can always use it haha!
That’s great! You’re welcome! I really love the look of floating plants. You just have to be careful they don’t block too much light but honestly, I’ve never had a problem. I recently added some dwarf water lettuce for the first time and am curious to see how it does. I think they are absolutely gorgeous. Your tank looks so pretty and your boy is so handsome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts