Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! this is amenadiel, next to his sister/tank mate, bonnie lol. okay so i’ve had him since early march of this year. i had recently added some artificial plastic plants without thinking “hey plastic plants can harm his fins.” but the problem is, i got my 2 african dwarf frogs, bonnie & clyde, a few days before i got the plants. all was well, all 3 of them get along perfectly and don’t bother one another. then i found a piece of amenadiel’s fin on his gravel. so i investigated further and found that some of his fins seem to be torn and mildly deteriorating. you can see this if you zoom in around the top of his dorsal fin on the photo provided. i’m not sure if my frogs carried bacteria that caused him to get fin rot (even though i quarantined them for a few days before adding them to the tank) or if the plants tore his fins. i’ve taken out the plastic ones and left silicone ones and small plastic ones that aren’t sharp and not textured. i noticed that some of his fins are kind of curly, but they’ve always been like that. and i’m 99% sure it’s not the decor in his tank because i’ve sanded down ANYTHING that could even poke the little feller. he seems very happy and is always active. he feeds readily as well. someone told me it could be his filter intake shredding his fins but he never had this problem and i’ve had this tank since i got him. it just started about 1 week and 1/2 ago. anyways here’s some info that could be helpful: he’s in a five gallon heated and filtered tank, and i do a 10% water change every tuesday or thursday using a siphon. he has his 2 tank mates stated above. i feed him 4 omega one betta buffet pellets a day and occasionally freeze dried bloodworms as a treat. i’m not sure about his water parameters but petsmart tested some of my cycled water from my tank and said it’s “perfect.” ahh i’m sorry, this is a whole essay!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,923 Posts
Please fill out this form. You may have answered some of them above but please repeat so we will have the most important information in a quick reference. Thank you,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please fill out this form. You may have answered some of them above but please repeat so we will have the most important information in a quick reference. Thank you,

alrighty thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-79° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? yes, two african dwarf frogs

Food:
What food brand do you use? omega one
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? twice a day. 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? one to two times a week
What percentage of water did you change? 10%
What is the source of your water? store-bought purified gallons of water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? i use a siphon
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? tetra aquasafe for bettas

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after.

i don’t have the exact numbers unfortunately i’m going to try to get them as soon as possible though.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? a week and a half ago when i found a piece of fin on the substrate
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? only his fins. they’re slightly torn looking and look like they’re about to break in half
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? it hasn’t
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? no because i don’t want to end up treating him for something he doesn’t have
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? no
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? not that i’m aware of

this post is about my male betta, amenadiel. i had recently added some artificial plastic plants without thinking “hey plastic plants can harm his fins.” but the problem is, i got my 2 african dwarf frogs a few days before i got the plants. all was well, all 3 of them get along perfectly and don’t bother one another. then i found a piece of my bettas fin on his gravel. so i investigated further and found that some of his fins seem to be torn and mildly deteriorating. you can see this if you zoom in around his fins on the photo provided. i’m not sure if my frogs carried bacteria that caused him to get fin rot (even though i quarantined them for a few days before adding them to the tank) or if the plants tore his fins. i’ve taken out the plastic ones and left silicone ones and small plastic ones that aren’t sharp and not textured. i noticed that some of his fins are kind of curly, but they’ve always been like that. and i’m 99% sure it’s not the decor in his tank because i’ve sanded down ANYTHING that could even poke the little feller. someone told me it could be his filter intake shredding his fins but he never had this problem until recently and i’ve had this tank since i got him.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,923 Posts
Thanks for filling out the form.

Fin rot is 99% caused by filthy water. Your care is perfect. Plus, doesn't look like fin rot.

My first thought is the ADF. They are so near-sighted they often mistake fins for food; especially CTs like your boy. And you post a photo of the entire tank. Don't need to see the ADF or Betta; just to see if there's something you can do that might keep the ADF from seeing your boy's fins as a food source. I had a lot of low cover so my long-fins couldn't get right to the substrate.

I was in an ADF group and the first thing they noted was never feed ADF freeze-dried. And watch frozen Bloodworms as they can make ADF fat. No pellets unless aquatic frog-specific. I know this isn't about your Betta but wanted to let you know.

Plastic plants have improved so much over the years. Where they used to be stiff they are now softer. You can run mesh material or hose over them to test for burrs. If the material snags then so will a Betta's fins. However, with amenadiel being a CT it would not seem as likely.

If you don't want to take on live plants but are worried about plastic, you can get aquarium-safe silk plants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts