Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I noticed my bettas fin was torn quite a bit and I was a bit worried. I’ve attached some pictures of his fins, tank, and water parameters. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? 10 ember tetras 3 Cory catfish 3 Amano shrimp

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari bio gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 pellets twice a day with occasional fasting

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Yes I Vacuum substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner?
Seachem prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness (GH): not sure
Alkalinity (KH): not sure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Today 11/23/21
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fin is torn
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Seams to like to rest quit a bit not sure if more than usual
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? July 2021
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No
Water Vertebrate Light Fish supply Pet supply

Blue Vertebrate Purple Natural environment Organism

Plant Fluid Shelving Window Plastic bottle

Hand Water Underwater Marine invertebrates Fish

Plant Purple Underwater Fish supply Marine invertebrates

·
Registered
Flash
416 Posts
Hi,

Looks like your betta boy has missing fin tissue, in both his dorsal and caudal fins.

I think that ember tetras will only nip fins when they are stressed, so if they are ok, they are not causing the issue.

I am not sure about that big piece of scape that you have in your tank. Does that have sharp edges? If so, he could be ripping/tearing his fins on that. Any plastic plants? He could rip his fins on those, if you have any.

He could also be nipping his own fins. It's sometimes hard to figure out the trigger for that behavior. If you see him swimming in circles, then that is usually a sign that he is nipping his own fins. I think that I would start by varying his diet. Maybe if you could give him some daphnia, or frozen blood worms or brine shrimp, or something like that, it might help.

Since you have corys and amanos in the tank with him, I would be really careful about dosing with aquarium salt in your tank.

I would recommend doing some small water changes every other day for a few weeks to see if that helps. I would also recommend adding some Indian almond leaves to the tank. The tannins will tint the water brown, but will add some very mild antibacterial/antifungal properties and help with healing. The tannins will not affect the other fish/shrimp in your tank. Stressguard by Seachem might be helpful, too. It will also help in the healing process, and will help prevent other infections from happening. Think of it like a bandage/medicated lotion for fish.

If he is fin nipping, you could add a few more live plants to the tank. By adding more plants/places to hide, it may reduce whatever stress he is possibly feeling.

Bettas also do better with dim lighting, or at least, 12 to 14 hours of dark. If you aren't turning off the lights, then that could be causing him to be stressed, and nip his own fins.

If you continue to see his fins disappear, it may be necessary to remove him from the big tank to a smaller hospital tank, in order to treat him with aquarium salt or other meds. If this is the case, you may need an aditional heater and an air stone for the HT, which can be anything, including a plastic tote. I use a glass cookie jar for my HT.

These are just a few things that I can come up. I do hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Looks like your betta boy has missing fin tissue, in both his dorsal and caudal fins.

I think that ember tetras will only nip fins when they are stressed, so if they are ok, they are not causing the issue.

I am not sure about that big piece of scape that you have in your tank. Does that have sharp edges? If so, he could be ripping/tearing his fins on that. Any plastic plants? He could rip his fins on those, if you have any.

He could also be nipping his own fins. It's sometimes hard to figure out the trigger for that behavior. If you see him swimming in circles, then that is usually a sign that he is nipping his own fins. I think that I would start by varying his diet. Maybe if you could give him some daphnia, or frozen blood worms or brine shrimp, or something like that, it might help.

Since you have corys and amanos in the tank with him, I would be really careful about dosing with aquarium salt in your tank.

I would recommend doing some small water changes every other day for a few weeks to see if that helps. I would also recommend adding some Indian almond leaves to the tank. The tannins will tint the water brown, but will add some very mild antibacterial/antifungal properties and help with healing. The tannins will not affect the other fish/shrimp in your tank. Stressguard by Seachem might be helpful, too. It will also help in the healing process, and will help prevent other infections from happening. Think of it like a bandage/medicated lotion for fish.

If he is fin nipping, you could add a few more live plants to the tank. By adding more plants/places to hide, it may reduce whatever stress he is possibly feeling.

Bettas also do better with dim lighting, or at least, 12 to 14 hours of dark. If you aren't turning off the lights, then that could be causing him to be stressed, and nip his own fins.

If you continue to see his fins disappear, it may be necessary to remove him from the big tank to a smaller hospital tank, in order to treat him with aquarium salt or other meds. If this is the case, you may need an aditional heater and an air stone for the HT, which can be anything, including a plastic tote. I use a glass cookie jar for my HT.

These are just a few things that I can come up. I do hope this helps! :)
Thank you for all the helpful tips. I really didn’t know that about the light. Will definitely be reducing the timer on my light. All the plants in the tank are real and the decoration doesn’t feel rough. I will be picking up some seachem stress guard today and some Indian almond leaves. I will update if things change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts