Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening, all. I can't figure out if my boy Sonic is biting his tail, or if it's rot. It looks to me like he's eating his tail. T_T I don't know why.

He is in a 10G tank, heated (current temp is 78 degrees), planted (both real and silk), it is filtered (and the filter is baffled), and he has an IAL in his tank. He also has an air stone, and a log & pagoda for hidey spots. I have not changed anything in the tank except for adding the IAL. I took a couple plants out because I had added several plants and then noticed him biting his tail, so I thought it stressed him and I took a couple back out.

I do once a week WC ~50% with gravel vac. He has a nerite snail in with him. I feed all my bettas NLS Betta Formula pellets.

Grrrrrrr, it seems like his tail is getting more tattered every day. I don't know what I can do for him. :( So frustrating!!

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi there, some bettas just loves biting their tail.. and I think the bigger their fins, the more they tend to bite. Mine bites his tail occassionally too despite giving him the optimal living conditions, just like you do... :)

Here's my fin muncher story: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=595194

Just keep water clean and fret not. :-D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, some bettas just loves biting their tail.. and I think the bigger their fins, the more they tend to bite. Mine bites his tail occassionally too despite giving him the optimal living conditions, just like you do... :)

Here's my fin muncher story: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=595194

Just keep water clean and fret not. :-D
Thank you! :) I am glad you found the cause! I don't know what is up with Sonic. I just put the IAL in there a couple weeks ago. At first, I had his tank pretty empty and he would flare at himself in the reflection. So I added plants to try to minimize that and it helped, but then I was getting diatoms off the window (my desk is by a window), so I got more plants to try to cut back on the light. Then he started lightly biting his tail, so I took some plants back out. And now he's chomping and tattering his tail like crazy. :| WHAT DOES IT TAKE!??!

No more long flowing tails, I can tell you that. Plakats 4 lyfe. T_T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts