Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of Cal's tail fin has started to fall apart. I think it is because of the filter. but I have not seen him go behind it. I keep his tank super clean and do weekly 20-50% water change along with vacuuming poo n what not from the gravel.
So I decided to turn off the filter in hopes that this will solve the problem.

Any ideas or advice? Also, where do you purchase your filters? I was thinking about going back to my previous rectangle 2.5 gallon.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the tank fully cycled and have you checked ammonia and nitrate levels?
Tank is fully cycled
Not sure on ammonia and nitrate levels. I gave him freeze dried food this morning. Of which he gobbled on like a pig. He has two ghost shrimp tank mates. How much waste do ghost shrimp produce?

·
Registered
393 Posts
any chance he could be getting ripped on any of the plants of decoration?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any chance he could be getting ripped on any of the plants of decoration?
It is possible. I haven't seen him swim tightly through the plants or rub against them. I've just seen him swim through the logs.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a coupla photos to better show what I'm seeing on Cal.

You can see the tearing here

And in this photo I noticed discoloration. The top of that fin was not black.

I'm a bit bummed that this has happened overnight :'( I did a partial water change hoping this would help a bit.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It looks like that one disease that is posted in the main section of this forum...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

I of course don't know but at first glance that is what it reminded me of.
Maybe you are in luck since this guy is still alive.(not to be rude)
He hasn't lost mobility.....And if he does n dies, I hope this isn't a contagious disease. Tho his shrimp friends have not been affected. And he has been swimming ALOT less. Tho he still does move. Seems he has to use alot of energy to do so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
He hasn't lost mobility.....And if he does n dies, I hope this isn't a contagious disease. Tho his shrimp friends have not been affected. And he has been swimming ALOT less. Tho he still does move. Seems he has to use alot of energy to do so.

Yeah, I don't really know too much about anything. It's just once I saw your pictures I immediately thought of that post I gave the link to. Just thought it might help you on your search for an answer!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update, Cal hasn't moved much recently. I fear he may have this disease and possibly won't make it through the night :'(

·
Registered
229 Posts
My friend's fish has fin rot, and it looks black all on the edges and affected area of the fins... I'd put him in a hospital tank with clean water and watch him closely. My friend says hers has the fin rot almost completely go away with clean water actually, and a bit of medication should help too. :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My friend's fish has fin rot, and it looks black all on the edges and affected area of the fins... I'd put him in a hospital tank with clean water and watch him closely. My friend says hers has the fin rot almost completely go away with clean water actually, and a bit of medication should help too. :)
I've rescued a few bettas with fin rot.
It's another reason why I did a partial water change earlier than usual.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
For fin rot, clean water should do the trick, maybe add some aqurium salt. 1 teaspoon a gallon.

be careful if you ask advice from a petstore - they have a not giving correct info and usually try to pawn off bettafix which can do more damage to the betta then good.

Is he rapidly turning a brownish/burnt looking color thatis advancing toward/onto his body? If so, it is not fin rot...

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today confirmed the worse, he has the unknown and incurable disease that seems to affect blue bettas only. I'm not sure how long he has to live :'(

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
What have you tried? It's been 24 hours.. do you have him in meds yet? I'd go for Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus. If you can't find it try Furan-2 or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What have you tried? It's been 24 hours.. do you have him in meds yet? I'd go for Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus. If you can't find it try Furan-2 or Maracyn and Maracyn 2 in combo.
I sent him to a friend whom has better experience than I do at treating sick fish. He sent me a text back and is currently treating him with Maracyn Plus.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went to my friends to check up on Cal. Well, his energy has improved BUT he has completely lost his dorsal fin :'( And the grey is half way up his body. It also looks like he is loosing the slime on his body. I'm not sure wither to be happy or sad. I felt more sad because he basically looks like he is decaying. He is a very light green-ish blue/his fins are starting to get white as well.
I think he maybe getting worse and his energy maybe just from the meds?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.