Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I received a shipment of a half moon male and a HM dumbo female that I purchased on aquabid, from different sellers. The male arrived with a pretty big hole in his dorsal fin, which I assumed happened because he bit it or something. He is really active and was nudging the bag to get out of it when I was floating him, so I assumed he could have gotten restless/stressed and bit his own fin during transport.

After a few hours of adding him to the tank, I noticed some fin rot on his tail, a slightly inflamed swim bladder and what looked like a fungal spot on his right cheek (but checking with a flashlight today, I think either the fungus fell off and left his cheek a different color or it was always his colors and there was never fungus). His fin rot has gotten slightly worse and his dorsal ripped through to the hole, but he's very active (though shy of my finger, he is very inquisitive when I use my Baster to pick up debris and is excited when I feed him). For treatment; I dosed kanaplex on Saturday and Monday (not realizing the carbon in my filter would remove it. I took the carbon out and redosed Monday night), fed him a small bit of defrosted and heated pea on Sunday and today, and dosed aquarium salt on Monday and during my water change today. There was an ammonia spike to .5 ppm yesterday afternoon which I corrected with a 25% water change + prime, and a .5 spike today that I promptly treated with another water change and which has now stabilized to 0ppm. Nitrites are 0, pH is 7.4, temp is heated to 78/79°F, and I haven't checked nitrates in a few days.

Late this afternoon I was closely watching him swim around (in paranoia) and staring at his scales, and I thought it looked like along his spine they might be very slightly raised. I don't remember if they looked like this before, and I can only really see it when I look at him straight from behind.

I don't know if the kanaplex + aquarium salt is working and I'm so worried about him not recovering or getting worse. Any ideas or advice would be so so appreciated.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Raised scales and bloated belly mean dropsy, a disease. I have never had fish with dropsy, but have read all about it. One lady said that there is no cure, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm not much help as I have never delt with dropsy. I have delt with Velvet and Popeye and I can tell you this, you have to catch diseases fast or its bad. I had to put a veiltail down on Sunday due to velvet because I did not catch it fast enough. Hopefully you will get some better replies then mine.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I wouldn't think dropsy right away with what you described..can we see a picture of the new guy? He's swimming around and being inquisitive is a good sign.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts