Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I hope you can all help me. I would really appreciate any help/advice/guidance on how to deal with fin rot in the new betta fish I adopted. I answered the form with all my tank, water, and fish details below after my post.

Background:
My cousin bought a male betta for his 24 gal community tank. After around 2 weeks (Jul 5), he asked me if I would like to take the betta because he wasn't getting along with his tankmates and started having ripped/slightly tattered fins. That same day, i took the betta and put him in my cycled (been running for over a year with plants and snails), filtered (1 HOB, 1 sponge), lightly planted (jungle val, anubias nana, hornwort), 5 gallon tank.

I was hoping that the ripped fins were just from other fish nipping or snagging on rock, but after 4 days with me, I noticed it was getting worse, and so it turned out to be fin rot. I started doing 25-30% daily water changes, and adding stress coat+ with the water changes. For a while, everything looked ok, but after about 3 days, I noticed more fraying edges. I was advised to continue with the water changes and to try increasing the Stress Coat dose by a little (since July 13). And advised to try this method for a couple of weeks before moving on to other treatments. So this is what I've been doing. It's only been about a week. Again, his fins looked ok for a few days, yesterday i noticed, when he passed in front of the light (I had a small lamp on on the table behind his tank), that the fins between the rays of his tail had some parts that look thin/translucent, I could see the light through them though they were not yet torn or split. Then today, there is a new split in his tail and a little more frayed edges.

I'm not sure what I should do next. Should I be moving on to medication already? Or should I keep up the water changes first for a few more days? What treatments would you all recommend? I wanted to avoid antibiotics as much as possible.

If anyone has had any experience in dealing with this, any advice/guidance would be most appreciated.

Sorry for the long post! Thank you all in advance! 馃檹

Tank, water, and fish details below.

- Kat

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gal
Does it have a filter? Yes, 1 HOB and 1 sponge filter
Does it have a heater? No, water is constantly at 28-29掳C (I'm in the Philippines)
What temperature is your tank? 29掳C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Aeration from the sponge filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? Yes What kind? 1 nerite snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari betta bio-gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x/day, 4 pellets per feed

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I vacuum both substrate and water
What additives do you use other than conditioner? Azoo Triple Black Water
What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH: 7
Hardness (GH): I don't know
Alkalinity (KH): I don't know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? July 5, 2021
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed? More and more tattered fin edges and splitting. Thinning between the rays of the tail then eventually splitting (only noticed the thinning yesterday when there was a light source behind my betta)
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed? It hasn't really changed
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, daily 30% water changes since July 9, Stress Coat+ in the new water.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know
How long have you owned your Betta? 2 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes. When I got him. No. When my cousin purchased him. (I didn't purchase him. He was purchased by my cousin around 2 weeks before I got him.)

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome!

Could you possibly provide pictures of him flaring and one of the tank? Thank you.

Super Moderator
It appears he is nipping his fins. You could try adding some more plants. It is thought that those that have more open spaces are more likely to bite.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your reply! So you think it's fin rot due to tail nipping? I'll try to get better shots next time. He has a dark coloration, so it's hard to see the discolored edges on the tattered fins. I know the tank is a little bare. I was planning to order some crypts, water sprite and anubias.

The tank used to have a lot of Amazon swords, but for some reason the Amazon swords didn't take in any of my tanks. I will have to order some fertilizer as well I think. Would you have any suggestions for ferts?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
I don't think he has fin rot at all. If could put some indian almond leaf in there, it has antibacterial and anti fungal properties that will help ward off infection from the nipping.

I use flourish tabs but I am a terrible plant keeper so I am sure someone else will have more suggestions for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see. Was thinking that it's fin rot because of the darker edges and the thinning on parts of his tail. It would really be great if it isn't fin rot.

I can look for Indian almond leaves. Right now I'm adding Azoo Triple Black Water with my water changes. It has Indian almond leaf extract but I don't know if the amount or concentration is enough to help.

Thank you for your suggestion on the ferts. I'll try to source it. And I'm open to more suggestions. I read that amazon swords are super hardy and great for beginners but none of mine survived. Lol... I'm not that great of a plant keeper either. But, I noticed that hornwort, anubias, and cryptocoryne wendtii have survived in my tanks, so I'll try to get more of those.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Registered
Agree, Indian almond leaf馃憤馃徎 Most love plants, especially floating plants and plants are enriching for them as it grows and changes in their environment that鈥檚 nourishing for their smart minds. You don鈥檛 want boredom to exhibit bad behavior like self biting in longer fins. I usually give new babies plenty of plants and definitely catappa leaf soak to settle in. Live foods can help a lot when they aren鈥檛 feeling well so you can tap their instincts a bit and give them a jolts so to speak. Try some black worms and let him hunt a few hours. For plants to grow lush, you want to feed your plants. Some are water column feeders and some are root feeders or both. So feed accordingly and work your tank up to <20ppm of nitrates and not more (keep it in 10-15ppm range in case you have activity and it raises to 20ppm). Do you use tap water? Just go online to your municipal. They should have it listed what鈥檚 your gh if you don鈥檛 have a tester. If your snail鈥檚 shell is doing fine then most likely you have a decent gh. He looks beautiful btw. Doesn鈥檛 look like fin rot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for your reply, @VLM ! There is actually an Indian almond tree outside where I live. I'll see if i can find any good leaves but it's been raining hard these past few days, so the dried leaves may already be spent. I was actually getting over 20ppm nitrates before when I had all the snails in the tank. I transferred all the snails (red ramshorns) except the nerite to a smaller tank since adopting my betta. Since then nitrates have been staying at 5-10ppm. I ended up with him quite suddenly. I would have set up than tank better and gotten more plants beforehand if I had known I would be taking him in.

When I add more plants, do I have to add them slowly? Will adding a bunch of new plants at one time affect anything? I have some osmocote (not inside a capsule) but wasn't sure if it's safe to put it in. Worried that my betta might accidentally eat it.

Yes, I use tap. I will see if I can find the gh online. But yes, my snails shells seem to be ok.

Thank you! He is beautiful, and I feel bad that his fins have gotten worse since i took him in. I really hope that he gets better.

Thanks again, @VLM and @BettaloverSara !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to mention, I've never seen black worms around here. I will search and ask around. I have bought live tubifex, grindal, and frozen bloodworms before. Unfortunately, I've had dropsy develop in 2 of my fish (1 guppy, 1 betta) last year when I was giving these foods. So I stopped ordering them. I'm guessing the tubifex may have caused it based on what I've read online.

Registered
Thank you so much for your reply, @VLM ! There is actually an Indian almond tree outside where I live. I'll see if i can find any good leaves but it's been raining hard these past few days, so the dried leaves may already be spent. I was actually getting over 20ppm nitrates before when I had all the snails in the tank. I transferred all the snails (red ramshorns) except the nerite to a smaller tank since adopting my betta. Since then nitrates have been staying at 5-10ppm. I ended up with him quite suddenly. I would have set up than tank better and gotten more plants beforehand if I had known I would be taking him in.

When I add more plants, do I have to add them slowly? Will adding a bunch of new plants at one time affect anything? I have some osmocote (not inside a capsule) but wasn't sure if it's safe to put it in. Worried that my betta might accidentally eat it.

Yes, I use tap. I will see if I can find the gh online. But yes, my snails shells seem to be ok.

Thank you! He is beautiful, and I feel bad that his fins have gotten worse since i took him in. I really hope that he gets better.

For your tank size I think it鈥檚 okay you add all the plants. Just try to feed it a lil. FYI hindsight: if your gh is low like under 3 degrees..you just have to feed your plants to be sure it doesn鈥檛 get to a point that it鈥檚 so underfed it starts to take it from your water鈥檚 gh. That鈥檚 bad bc your water will flatline. Ideally you want your water charge鈥imilar to like how we drink Gatorade or a sports drink for electrolytes. So as long as you feed the plants it won鈥檛 rob your water mineral content for fish. All living things need a lil mineral to live. I hope that makes sense. Good thing is you probably will never have to worry about this if you feed it minimum. In order for it to rob your water you would have to go on serveral months not feeding it. So you can just figure out how much gh you have and how long it lasts before you are due for a water change. To bring those levels back up just do a water change maybe once a week or whatever works for you to find balance.
Yay! That鈥檚 awesome you have a almond tree nearby鉂 Yea, I鈥檝e been hit with rain all week too. Cooler on the heat but the insects and bugs are raging lol. Try to pick the leaves that are dark and thick;)

That seems to add up, the snails was probably the extra activity reflecting on your nitrates. I鈥檓 glad you got some out.
Sorry, I鈥檓 not familiar with that brand of capsule. I would be careful using capsules. I haven鈥檛 had any luck with capsules as they expanded on me and floats a mess but I haven鈥檛 tried many brands. The only root tabs I can use is flourish tabs. I think it鈥檚 a seacheam product. It鈥檚 not in a capsule but a tab instead. Roots and substrate surrounds it nicely so it doesn鈥檛 stray. They stay put unless I dig it up. They survive my Corycats that are diggers too. Some kind of root tabs would be great for you though so I like the direction you are going. Cause some days you can forget to feed the plants liquid and tans would be a nice slow release option 馃憤馃徎鈥ice choice;)鈥 hope this help..hopefully I didn鈥檛 make it confusing.

Wishing you Happy fish keeping鉂

Registered
Forgot to mention, I've never seen black worms around here. I will search and ask around. I have bought live tubifex, grindal, and frozen bloodworms before. Unfortunately, I've had dropsy develop in 2 of my fish (1 guppy, 1 betta) last year when I was giving these foods. So I stopped ordering them. I'm guessing the tubifex may have caused it based on what I've read online.
Awe, I鈥檓 so sorry to hear about your loss. When we know better we do better from now on;)
I get the black worms from my local mom and pops fish store. They keep it very healthy and clean. The other fish stores don鈥檛 carry it. I think it depends on what鈥檚 available in your area if you can find availability. I use to keep it in a cup in the fridge but I would forget to change the water when I get busy. So now I just keep a 3 &10 gallon and both seem to thrive so I can skip sorting out deads before I feed and buying it weekly. They sell it $4 for an ounce here. Hope you can get your hands on it. They鈥檙e great for conditioning bettas various ways when applied at the right time. If fish don鈥檛 eat it all it just lives in your substrate to be hunted later unlike bbs they find a deep corner and die 馃槀 then pollute your water. I don鈥檛 feed them they just eat detritus.

Same here, I鈥檝e come across that from at least 2 very experience breeders discussing tubifex worms suspicions and how their fry did not fully develop so I don鈥檛 dare to try them. For frozen I use hikari鈥檚 brand since their processing seems safe. But live food makes such a big difference for betta fish it鈥檚 undeniable so I try to keep as much variety around as I can and give them something to pique their interests.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts