Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I posted earlier about my bettas fins looking shredded, I have come to the conclusion that it is fin rot. I am going to treat with Salt. From petco not table salt. My question is I have a 3 gallon tank, how often should I treat the water?. Do I change the water? Since it's a small tank should I just do a 100% water change and add the salt. From what I read online it said to do a complete eater change every day for 7-10 days with the salt. Is that really ok for my betta? There is about 2.5 gallons of water in his tank. Please help I don't want to loose him my son would be so sad.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
From what I gather from your other threads-you have him in a 3gal with a filter that seems to be too strong of a current-
Often with these long fin males- the water current can be the cause of tattered fins as well as stress-also the space alone can be an issue with some in the beginning.

What I would recommend-turn off the filter and lower your water level for now-make 20% water changes every 3-4 days-make sure you have some good hidding places to help make him feel secure.

Provided that a secondary infection hasn't established-treating the cause of the tattered fins may be the best treatment at this point-if a secondary has established-I would use a QT to treat using a natural treatment of salt and tannins along with water changes and good nutrition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I was able to baffle the Flo of my filter so that there is no current at all any more. Unfortunately it is fin rot. I have him in a QT, doing salt treatment and water changes. The fish I bought from walmart that came with fin rot (new betta owner) had no idea what that even was. When I went to petco to purchase a new betta, the sales rep did not tell me that the fin rot can stay attached to the tank and decor. Just to rinse with water. So it transfered to this betta. I am treating him in a QT. I hope he lives but I just researched this disease and I dot think I caught it in time. His fins are gone, exempt for his tail. It had progressed so fast!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts