Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my dark red betta fish about two months ago. I started to suspect he had fin rot, and managed to get medicine for treatment two weeks ago. He has a larger tank with plants and a heat lamp, but I've quarantined him into a smaller tank for the duration of the treatment (until his fin gets better) so that it is easier to treat (as was recommended by some online sources). I've been using a combination of Aquarium Salts, Bettafix (which I hear is better for fin growth than an actual cure), and Nutrafin Betta Plus water conditioner. It's been a little over a week since this started. I've been doing a full water change every night, adding in new medication and salts. I know that at first it was definitely fin rot (despite his coloration) because at one point a hole opened up partway down his fin, as opposed to shredding. It seemed like the treatment wasn't working; his tail was still getting progressively more shredded. I cannot tell if this is still the case, however, because for the past three days he has started violently biting huge chunks of his tail off. I've tried distracting him, feeding him more in case he's hungry, putting a ping-pong ball in the tank (which he didn't really know what to do with), but nothing seems to be working. Where he was once a bright red, he's now burgandy, almost black, so I think he's still sick.

As far as I can guesstimate, about 1/3 of his tail was claimed by fin rot, and another 1/3 has been bitten off by him recently (sometimes causing bleeding). All of his other fins seem to be fine, and had never shown any signs of fin rot. After applying the Bettafix, I believe that they alone started growing longer, as the ends are fuller, curlier, and thinner than the rest of the fin. The tail fin has gotten no such regeneration.

I think there are a couple of possible reasons for his behavior, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to them, and I don't know what to do to stop it so he can heal. One possible reason is that now, since his tail is so short, his "skirt" fin is far too long for him and is weighing him down. I notice when he bites his tail he's usually trying to go for his "skirt" fin; but since he can't really bend to reach it he usually ends up getting his tail instead. The other reason I believe is that he is upset with me for being in the smaller tank and wants to go back to the bigger one (completely understandable). However, I don't want to put him back into the big tank until I know he's healed or healing, in case he still has or develops a case of fin rot due to the biting. It will be a lot harder to monitor and treat the fin rot if it happens while he's in the larger tank, and with much less fin to go through now before it becomes body rot, I don't want to take the chance of it getting worse before I know it's getting better.

Does anyone have any advice for how to fix this? Right now I'm thinking of trying the treatment without the Bettafix for a few days, just to see if I'm right about the fin-length ratio problem (so it doesn't get worse).

Edit: Something's going to have to be done soon, there's just pieces of fin flying all over the place right now, and I'm REALLY REALLY concerned!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Stop the bettafix, it doesn't do much to help and has been known to coat the labyrinh organ, which can be harmful to bettas. How much aquarium salt to you have in the water? How many gallons does each tank hold?

I would suggest putting him back in the big tank and just making sure his water stays very clean. Fin rot often doesn't need much medication beyond a bit of salt and a conditioner with aloe in it. Because the problem is no longer rot but just biting, he's probably better off in the big tank where he doesn't bite. Just do slightly more frequent bigger water changes for a little while, keeping an AQ salt concentration of 1 tsp per gallon for no more than a week. It's better to stop the biting before you worry about rot :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts