Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10-gallon, currently in 2.5g hospital tank.
Does it have a filter? Yes, but the 2.5g does not.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None.
*He has been in his 2.5g hospital tank for 6 days with 1 tbsp AQ salt/gallon. I'm upping the dose to 2 tbsp/gallon and then 3 if he doesn't show improvement with 2 tbsp/gallon.

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum Betta Formula.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets.
Freeze-dried? No, but I ordered some Hikari Freeze-dried Bloodworms from Amazon.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, 2-3 pellets each time.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of water did you change?30% both times.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?Vacuum the substrate as well as net out other debris that I missed with the vacuum.
What additives do you use? Prime, liquid fertilizers once a week.
With the quarantine tank, I've been doing a 100% water change everyday.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: Just under 5ppm (the tank is just finishing the cycle)
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): --
Alkalinity (KH): --
These are for the 10g.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Six days ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His anal fin had a small white fuzzy spot on it, which got worse but then fell off. I moved him to the hospital tank where he seemed fine.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, voraciously.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Six days ago with AQ salt at 1 tbsp/gallon, upping the dose for the next 2-3 days to 2 tbsp/gallon, 3 if necessary. Then I want to move him back to the 10-gallon because if it is tail biting, I don't want to keep him in the 2.5g where he is clearly bored.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Fin rot about a month or two ago. He had red ulceration on his fins but it cleared up with AQ salt.
How long have you owned your betta? Was he or she a rescue? I bought him 7 months ago from Petsmart. No he wasn't.

This is what is fins look like. They were completely fine yesterday (white fuzz gone, seemed on his way to recovery) but tonight while changing the water I noticed that almost half his caudal and dorsal fin were gone. There are no white/red/black edges. They're just gone, and I couldn't find the missing/ripped/rotted pieces anywhere in the tank.
So I'm wondering, is this just fin rot and the rotting part fell off, or did he pick up fin biting, too?
I also read that fin rot can take weeks, even up to a month to cure... that just means I need to keep the water in pristine condition, right? Not medicate him on and off for a month.
If anyone has any suggestions, opinions, or ideas, they would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In a couple days, I plan to move him back to the 10-gallon. If I see no signs of infection, should he be fine in the larger tank without any salt or meds? As long as I keep the water extremely clean?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think he's even bitten his fins before. I'm shocked at the amount of fins that seem to have disappeared overnight!

So what do I do about fin biting? Keep his fins from getting infected, and keep him entertained and his stress low?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts