Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have literally been treating Monet for fin rot for two weeks... First week we did an aquarium salt soak in a QT tank, and his fins healed up but he still had a tiny bit of red. The next day he had holes in his fins again, so back into the QT thank he went.

Now it's been another week of aquarium salt soaking and he STILL hasn't gotten better. The fin healed, and then ripped again yesterday. Redness is still there.

Would Melafix be worth trying at this point? I am getting really fed up. I just want my baby to get better!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
MelaFix is only an antiseptic, no better than salt would be. Can we get some pictures? It doesn't quite sound like Fin Rot to me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MelaFix is only an antiseptic, no better than salt would be. Can we get some pictures? It doesn't quite sound like Fin Rot to me.
Hmm well I couldn't get a picture (he does not stop moving and he's in a 1.5 gallon vase for treatment ugh) >_<

I picked up tetracycline though because it seems to definitely be a bacterial infection of some sorts.

How does the dosing work with this? He is not in a filtered tank since I am treating him. It says no water change for 48 hours and that's making me nervous since the QT tank is so small.

Anyone have experience administering tetracycline in a small QT tank?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Can you feed him and snap some pictures at that point? It should help him stay still for a moment. Or put a mirror up or something that he'll be interested in to stop and look at.

Betta's do not excrete as much ammonia as most people think so just follow the directions on it. You can take a cup and mix up one packet into that cup of water, there are 48 teaspoons in a cup which makes 4.8 teaspoons per one gallon. So for a 1.5 you'd be dosing 7.2 teaspoons or just 7 teaspoons is close enough. You can leave that cup for the next dosing period. If you absolutely need to do a water change then go ahead but make sure you add in the previous dose. So say if it's the next dose and you do a full water change, you'll need to put in the first 7 teaspoons for the preliminary dose and THEN add in the second dose so it makes the same concentration.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I treated him for Tetracycline for 4 days. Not sure if it helped. His fins are healing up but he tore his dorsal fin again a couple days into the tetracycline. I just eyeballed the dosage and I think maybe I didn't add enough the first couple of days.

I changed his water 100% with fresh water today. Gonna keep him there until he looks better, but the red dots are still there, it's weird!

I took pics, as requested.

You can see the ripped dorsal fin + the red by the nostrils + the ventral fin.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
The red looks natural, he is a marble (most likely) so it could just be natural color changing. The ventral looks especially normal though so I wouldn't worry about that much. His dorsal looks like he bit it or something else bit it or he snagged it on something. I know his anal fin didn't look like that before though, is that part of the 'rot' we've got going here or is that something different?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The red looks natural, he is a marble (most likely) so it could just be natural color changing. The ventral looks especially normal though so I wouldn't worry about that much. His dorsal looks like he bit it or something else bit it or he snagged it on something. I know his anal fin didn't look like that before though, is that part of the 'rot' we've got going here or is that something different?
There were holes in the middle of his caudal fin, and his dorsal ripped earlier this week. Not sure why though, because he literally has just a single heater + thermometer in his QT tank. No sharp edges.

The anal fin has been looking like that for a couple of weeks. I don't know why but the end got all weird and bendy. I noticed the same thing on Van Gogh (tank mate) but there were no signs of rot there.

It was basically just his dorsal and caudal that were affected.

So nothing to worry about? It did occur to me taht the red might just be his pigment lol but it's the same exact color as when he got blood so I wasn't sure! :lol:

When should I put him back in the split 10 gallon? I am wondering if he is flaring too much and as a result he's ripping his fins... not sure though. Or maybe the flow is too strong from the filter?

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's very possible he blew out his fins which cause pin hole holes in the fins and then they can rip from there.

The anal fin could just be genetics or something.

He coudl go back now, there's no immediate rot that I see so being back in a cycled tank will be better for him.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just weird that the filter did not cause him any problems in a 4 gallon, but is causing him problems in the 10 gallon?? It's the same exact filter (Marina S15).

I will try baffling it. I had it baffled with a kitchen sponge for a while but the thing disintegrated and put yellow stuff everywhere ick! I guess a trip to the LFS is in order to pick up some filter media!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Oh...don't use kitchen sponges, they have chemicals to prevent mould buildup which is harmful to the fish. Only use aquarium sponges or padding/floss.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
It's okay, I did too at first and then I saw multiple accounts on here and even on the bag of sponges I had said to not use in the aquaria but clearly, I didn't see that lol. My fish were fine though but it's not something I'd risk to try again, you know? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.