Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Okay, so I'm a little concerned with my boy, Squiggles. When I first got him just over a month ago, he fell quite sick with suspected swim bladder. Thankfully, that has cleared up nicely and he's been a happy boy since.
However, around that time, I noticed that his tail fin started to get tiny tears at its tips. I thought that due to the current and his consistent flaring for that first week, resulting in a strained tail. I added a sponge to one nozzle of my water pump outlet to help reduce flow, however, over the past week, he began to constantly swim against the flow coming out the other nozzle (which was pointed at the glass). As I thought this would stress him and further the tears, I added one final sponge to that so there is almost no flow. This does create a film on the surface of the tank, but he seems way happier and has begun to bubble nest!
As I thought his tail was injured, I got a little stress coat for him, but began to notice today that his tail is really starting to look a little shabby around the edges, with some small pieces seeming to recede! There is no blood or white patches, but if it is fin rot, I'd rather not leave it to get worse, considering he would have had it for almost a month already if it is! :(

It has not progressed quickly, and I do a 20-35% water change every 1-2 weeks (usually weekly). I also add a bio enhancer every week too!

So, is this fin rot? If so, how would I go about treating it? And finally, I have a nerite snail in my tank - will any treatments kill him or can I transfer him to a temporary area, even if it is just a lunch box until Squiggles is better?

Thank you!

PS. I am away for a week from the 16th-23rd as part of my uni course. Hopefully, I can get this treated before then - as my parents said they'd feed him/keep an eye on him for that week.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Cherokee

Can you please fill in the form I am posting below? It will help us assist you teh best we can

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information *you* provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? - 9 gallons
Does it have a filter? - yes
Does it have a heater? -yes
What temperature is your tank? -26 degrees Celsius
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - yes (one nerite snail)

Food:
What food brand do you use? - King British
Do you feed flakes or pellets? - pellets
Freeze-dried? - no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? - 3/4 mini pellets x2 dialy

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? - once a week (this started once I got him in a 1 1/2 week cycled tank)
What percentage of water did you change? - 20-35%
What is the source of your water? - tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? - vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? - Aqua Care Bio Boost

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

(Awaiting kit - aquatic store tested water and said it was stable and perfect for a betta)
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? - 5 days after purchase - 4 weeks ago (during time of swim bladder)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Torn edges to tail fin
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? - Still normal self
Is your Betta still eating? - Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? - no
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? - unlikely (only one count of SB)
How long have you owned your Betta? - 5 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? - Appeared healthy and active (only after brought home for first time did he contract SB)

SEE PICS ABOVE

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting my aquarium test kit today. Placed some aquarium salt in the water, half a teaspoon for every gallon, but rounded it down due to the space taken up by substrate. Section of Squiggles fin seems to be getting worse, like it is becoming tasseled confetti. I really do worry for him. I am changing some of his water today. It's winter in the UK now, so the tap water is freezing! I don't want to do huge changes, even if left out for a few hours, as the difference in temp is quite worrying.
I didn't empty my Betta's tank due to the fact it is still cycling.
If this does not work, can I transfer my Betta to a bucket for a few days, if I move my heater in there? Then it would essentially count as an 100% water change without messing up the tank, and hopefully there will be no bacteria or fungus to continue eating his fin present in the bucket?

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
19,199 Posts
Can you mix hot and cold water from the tap0? Or is there a problem with hot water pipes? Some cannot mix is why I ask. They mix water they heat in the microwave or on the stove with the cold until the temperature matches that of the aquarium.

He does not have fin rot. It looks to be either biting or damage from decor. You do not need to baffle the output on the nozzles as it should not tear his fins. As a matter of fact, many Betta swim against the output for exercise. This strengthens their fins and their peduncle and makes them stronger swimmers. That is what Squiggles was doing with the last nozzle before you baffled it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi!

You can mix hot and cold in the main bathroom, but the guys at the pet store claimed that the water from the hot tank has iron in it, so it was best to stick to the cold tap. I got a backup heater that a friend has lent me today which now lets me heat up my clean water in a bucket for a few hours.
I wondered if it was tail biting, but now I am not so sure. One part in particular seems to be going quite quickly, and has the faintest brown edging. It seems that his tail splits, then the piece slowly withers from the outside in, getting thinner from the sides in before eventually receding. Here is a pic I took this morning. It's that middle section of the tail. Would it be okay to continue with the salt and frequent water changes as a precaution?
Also, here are my aquarium readings:
PH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0.25 - 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts