Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Holmes has a little bit of fin rot. I got him a little over two weeks ago and had been slacking a little with water changes (Opps. 50% once a week). But then I began actually keeping on top of water changes about a week ago (50% water changes every two days or so) and he still has the dark tips on his fins, so it might be time to start trying aquarium salt...?

Here's some pics that I took today:

So, I'm pretty sure its finrot, but not positive. Thoughts? (And if so, how do I treat it with AQ Salt?)

Oh, and here's some basic stuff:
He's in a five gallon with two plants and a hidey mug.
Its not cycled yet. (I have the filter, I just haven't put it in yet.)
He has a heater, and the water's at 74 degrees. (Thats a little cold for bettas, I really should bring it up...*Goes to fix*)
I treat the water with Prime, and have been doing water changes every two or so days.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No deteriorating, its just the tips that are black. I did go researching a little and found this thread, and the betta there has tips just like Holmes does. *Feels relieved that it probably isn't finrot*

And I put the filter in his tank (Cut Watson's filter cartridge in half and Holmes' in half. So each filter has one established and one new now.) so he's on the way to cycling!

He is the only one in his tank...... So 50% weekly is okay for me to do? *Feels silly* XD

I'll keep a sure eye on it, but I'm not too concerned anymore! I'll post if it gets worse and I need help, but I'm thinking that it won't come to that. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah my red CT has black fin tips that look just like your betta's tips. that's just the way he is! lol didn't notice until i got him in the tank. haha.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
mmm hmmm. My new boy I just got tonight a.k.a. Charlie has black tipped fins too I didn't notice in the store. They sure are color changers aren't they? and my crown tail boy has a fleshy colored body that is slowly getting a blue tint as he gets older so it just could be how he is developing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts