Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really more to keep track of Fin's progress for myself, welcome to his progress diary.

Three days ago I took Fin home from a well known, Australian petshop chain.
Firstly they were only willing to give me 10% off his sale price, but after I called the manager over I was allowed to take him home for nothing.

The only fins that Fin had remaining were his two bottom front ones (only minimal damage), and millimetres of any other finnage on his body. I was told that he was mauled whilst in a communal tank.
Fin was also severely malnourished. He was nearly transparent, and his colour was nearly all gone. I could see pellets in the bottom of the tiny box they kept him in, but clearly as he was already weakened and had no fins to navigate to the bottom, he was unable to eat and slowly starving.

When I got him home, I put him into a small 30L tank, and divided that in half so the filter wouldn't throw him around. The water level I left at just under 5 inches.
Heat 81F
One small silk plant, a Betta leaf hammock and a small cave.

For the first hour I let him adjust.
He simply floated next to the glass, almost unresponsive.

Thought I'd see if he could eat, and I tried him in granules since they are very small and wouldn't take much energy to swallow.
Well.
Gobble, gobble, gobble.
Using a chopstick, I fed him one tiny granule at a time, ensuring he had fully swallowed the first before giving him the next.

For the rest of the day I fed him very small but frequent amounts of the granules.
After 6 hours, he became more curious about his environment. He swam (well, wriggled as best he could) around the edges of the tank but mainly stayed on his leaf hammock near the surface.

He quickly learned that when I took the lid off, he'd be getting some granules, and he was so keen! I was pretty happy he was eating but was careful not to overfeed as I didn't want to place stress on his digestive system.

I'll put Day 1 photos on this post, then make a day 2 post afterwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 2

Day 2

Got some Bettafix for his fins, and bloodworms to help fatten him up.
LOVED the bloodworms, and I fed him 2 at a time. They gave him a lot more energy and he eagerly lunged at any food offering.
Learning to swim without his fins to balance results in Fin twisting and turning a lot. Someone warned me against the possibility of him having TB as his spine looks bent. However I'm pretty sure he's just compensating in movement for lack of fins. Am wearing gloves just incase. If he puts on some weight and starts growing back fins I should be able to tell fairly quickly.

By the afternoon, Fin had more energy and navigated the 5 inches down to inspect the cave. He swam through and seemed pretty pleased with that lol.
More swimming around today and always comes to the glass whenever we approach.

I think he's looking a lot better.
Day 2 photos attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol, I wish I was experienced!!! But I know the basics now thanks to a lot of help here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day 5 photo comparison

Five days has made a huge difference to Fin. He's put on weight, his spine isn't protruding like it was, and he is getting more colour in his tail. He's a very happy little fish!

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Five days has made a huge difference to Fin. He's put on weight, his spine isn't protruding like it was, and he is getting more colour in his tail. He's a very happy little fish!
This whole story and thread is amazing, Kevin! Please don't stop posting Fin's progress. I love to see this kind of thing. He is so lucky you cared enough to save him and nurse him back to health. It's likely no one else would have bought him. You're a good guy, Kev.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Amazing story so far. He already has shown quite a bit of improvement over the past five days. His fins look like they're starting to grow back.,

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Falcon! He seems such a happy little dude too. Now that he has some energy. And yes!!! I think they are starting to grow back a little too!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 6- where's my food?!

Because Fin is starting to put on weight, I've decreased his feeding from every couple of hours to four times a day. This means that every time I go look at him, I'm not there to feed him and he's all WHERE'S MY FOOD!!!!

Did a half water change yesterday and increased depth by about an inch when I replaced the water. He's doing soooooo good with his swimming! He now likes to hang out in his cave at night. How's that for confidence!!

I'll get some pics of the entire tank set up so you can check out his home.

In the meantime you can see video at www.instagram.com/the.swimming.pool

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fins entire tank

So as you can see, Fin has less than a tank to swim in. I've blocked off the side with the filter so he has very calm water and doesn't struggle to swim.
You can see him at the front, curious as ever.
He has a rock cave, a leaf hammock and one silk plant.

When his fins grow back I will remove the divider so he can strengthen himself in water with more movememt.

The divider is a piece of bendy plastic with holes around the edges. This allows enough filtration for the water to remain heated the same in the entire tank whilst keeping his side very calm.

** I have a feeling this photo is going to load sideways, sorry about that.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looking forward to the progress! I got confused, though. Who is the betta in your profile pic?? I saw that one in your other thread about Fin. And I thought, "well he doesn't look so bad at all??"

·
Registered
227 Posts
Be careful of the rock cave. I've seen similar looks ones in pet stores and the insides the like sandpaper. Maybe yours isnt like that or you already sanded it down. I just wanted to let you know just in case.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thankyou, yes the cave is a bit rough, I think I'll get some sealant and cover the entire thing smooth.
I could be totally off here, but sealant doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe it's just me and I'm overly cautious but I wouldn't feel safe putting the chemicals from the sealant (even after drying and rinsing) in the tank - especially with Fin's fragile state.

I'm soooo happy to see he is doing so well! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thankyou! Sealant, as long as it's the correct one is absolutely safe. It's like the shiny stuff that is coated over Aqua products so we can use them safetly in our aquariums.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fin's First Bubble Nest!!! Day 8

Ohhhhhhhmygod.
So I know there's many schools of thought just WHY fish build bubble nests, but I'm going to stroke my ego by imagining Fin did it because he's content and happy.
When I saw it I was all OMGFINBUILTABUBBLENEST!!!!! Squeeeeeeeee!!!!!

At any rate, this makes me so happy because he is clearly getting more energy and his fins are growing too! Check out the most recently photo below...I see blue in those fins!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 65 Posts