Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing research into betta fish in order support claims that prove hearsay wrong. However, I have noticed that most websites with the best information are like this forum or are personal websites owned by hobbyists. While I know certain information to be true and trustworthy, in the end these types of websites/sources are also just hearsay. While we are experienced members, there are many differing opinions on certain aspects of betta fish keeping.

I am looking for purely factual content, not the nitpicky details of whether or not it is better to use IAL or oak leaves, or even arguments over whether veiltails should be a recognized breed. I only want facts. I want science to back up these facts. I want trust resources but do not know where to begin looking.

What I am specifically looking out for are books, magazine articles, humane society articles, etc. I have a very small number of articles I like and some of them are just websites without credibility, such as a hubpages article I like. I want to weed out information like this unless I can cross-reference from an official source SOMEWHERE.

I am not even looking for sources that have 100% everything correct. For example, I like Animal Planet's betta care book for reasons that include taking down several harmful myths and much of the needs of betta fish being addressed but I do not agree with its promotion that a betta can live in a minimum of 1 quart of water because it is a hardy fish. I would like sources such as these to look into so I can compare information and better educate myself in betta keeping.

Some concepts I would like good sources for include:

-Information on female betta fish. I have zero experience with them and know only in theory or from advice of experienced female owners on how to best suit their needs.

-Egg binding. This is a specific female betta issue I want to do more research on but cannot find anything but forum posts on the topic. I feel like people get their information from somewhere and I want to find the course of that information.

-Chemical water conditions. We all know that 0ppm is an ideal state for ammonia and nitrite, with a little nitrate to remove through water changes. I want information on water conditions specifically for betta fish and a more precise source on the rate at which these chemicals build up.

-Breeding. I am interested in learning about breeding and because I have very minimal knowledge on it, I would like to begin learning through official sources. I do not want to breed myself but am fascinated by IBC standards, betta genetics, and breeding habits, as well as how breeders breed their fish.

-History on betta fish. I know that betta splendens are a man-made species created through breeding. I have heard multiple stories on how betta fish got their name, ranging from the King of Siam favoring these fish and naming them himself to the species being named after warriors called Bettah because of their fighting abilities. I would love to when/how the betta splendens branched into their own species and some basic history.

-General betta care. There are so many things I forget are not common knowledge and many things I assume based off information I have here. I would love some official sources on general betta care that do not contain myths on the fish.

I wish I knew where to begin looking for this information but I do not. I do not mind internet sources as long as I can back up their validity (such as being from an SPCA organization or from a well-known authority) and would appreciate books. Even I cannot find or afford to buy the books, I would like to know their titles and see if maybe I can get them through a library or used book store, ect.

I know about some magazines but they are not betta specific. I do want to learn about other species too but I can only handle learning about one fish at a time...one at a time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find it amazing that betta fish are so hard to find cited information on. I really want to gather official sources together and put them in one place so they are not so hard to find. I will definitely share here when I am done with my research. My betta hobby does not stop at merely caring for my fish but continues on into expanding my knowledge on them.

I will take a look at the IBC. Any other suggestions? Books? Vet manuals? Organizations? I don't mind asking members but I really want to cite published material.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. my internet keeps failing me so most of my responses disappear before being able to be posted. Here are the topics, which will turn into subtopics, that I will focus my research on:

Betta History

Betta Anatomy

Betta Gender Differences

Betta Habits/Behaviors

Betta Requirements

Betta Upkeep

Betta Community Tanks

Betta Water Conditions

Betta Nutrition

Betta Health

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I will search for these. Are they still in print?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks KoiMaiden.

I am going to take a look at my university library. I have some science labs to do but maybe I can find some research afterward. I know they don't have anything on the betta splendens species available through their databases but I may be able to at least track down article titles. If I do, I'll ask you to perhaps take a look for me.

I am going to see if I can get my hands on Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine and will continue to search through PFK articles online. Although I my boyfriend is living in the UK right now, he does not care about fish like I do and probably has never heard of the magazine or will have free access to it. Not to mention, it is kind of unfair to ask someone to go through tons of issues to help me find something relevant.

I will sort the information out and definitely post when I have a compiled list but I feel like this will take a long time...which is fine because I love this sort of thing. I feel like this is going to be longer and more researched than a dissertation. Haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.