Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Who's going to put money into actual experiments on betta fish? No one but hobbyists. I'm kind of glad for this because we have better things to spend money on, lol.
There isn't too many specifics in the hobby chemistry wise... We have our general numbers, our general cures... We got a lot of mumbo jumbo in our hobby, you are totally correct. It's accepted by pretty much everyone. Something that cures magically. Where is the proof of this, that we cannot say. I have even seen published books on fish in which I could pick out things that were clearly just wrong.
Information is passed on person to person, changed greatly, most things really cannot be backed up confidently. "It worked for me" is not backing up something. You really need intensive research into a subject.. in the case of fish, it calls for tons of necropsies and experimentation, something the average hobbyist will not be willing to do.

For example.. recently I was trying to decipher the garlic for fish claims.. it cures disease and helps with appetite mainly. It did not take long at all for me to figure it out... As far as we know this whole tale comes to us from a Mr. Wattley, a discus expert. He DID preform intensive study into using garlic as a cure for worms in discus fish. You can find the article here.
All of a sudden, this information was crossed over to another, unrelated species. Who on earth thought that garlic tempts the appetite? I've seen this fail for tons of people on the forum. This is the biggest flaw in our hobby, you are right to want to learn about one fish. There is no magic number, no cure all, for every fish species.. They are all different, as you know some medicines are toxic to betta, but fine for other fish.

I could cross over tons of chemistry information to you for different fish species which have been studied more, but this will be of little to no use for your purposes.
Our aquarium chemistry is particularly iffy since, well not everyone's water is the same. Take this fact.. "Generally 1 to 3mg of ammonia is produced for every 100mg of feed." This would put 1 liter of water at 1-3ppm of ammonia, toxic, or a 100 liter aquarium at 0.01-0.03ppm of ammonia, unnoticeable. What is the composition of the feed, what fish is eating it, if it is being eaten.. I think this fact is taking into account uneaten food. Take into consideration the conversion of ammonia to ammonium in acidic waters.. Ammonium has completely different properties, we aren't even sure if it's the same bacteria species that eats both, though people will say that ammonium is more easily eaten by our bacteria. Any expert hobbyist will comfortably admit that we know almost nothing about the details aquarium water chemistry.

It will be hard to find information "official" enough pertaining to betta, no arguments to that. If you want, I do suggest PM'ing our member bettababy with your questions on egg binding and water chemistry.. She is a fish nutritionist, I believe, she went to school for this stuff, she really will be able to help you out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.