Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, by now you've all met Diva, my hyper little crowntail. Well as an early birthday present, my mom bought me a 10-gallon tank two weeks ago that came with a filter and new gravel, plastic plants, and I bought the red female veiltail I had narrowed down my search for in the quest for a perfect tankmate.

Here's where the trouble starts.

My new betta's name is Saya, and I absolutely fell in love with her when I saw her at petco. among all of the diseased fish (some CT's had severe finrot which was heartbreaking to see) Saya was the only healthy one... or so I thought. I noticed a little brown along her tail, and the woman who helped me find her said that that was part of her pattern. I had a feeling it was finrot, but chose to dismiss it since the saleswoman said that she used aquarium salts to take care of the bettas (I was surprised at this, seeing as many of the bettas looked diseased, but sure enough, some water got outside the bowl and evaporated leaving salt residue) and even had some bettas of her own. Saya seemed perfectly healthy and even started bullying Diva, which earned her a few days in the timeout tank (3/4 gallon starter that we had with a mini-cave. no gravel or aquarium salts, though. she may have gotten sick there) until the divider, which we had ordered when I noticed that a chunk was missing from one of Diva's fins, had arrived on my birthday. She jumped it somehow a few days ago, but other than that, she was good. anyway, I started noticing the brown edging spreading to her fins. it's starting to turn clear at the very tips, so I'm 90% sure it's finrot. I've added in some anti-fungal stuff and aquarium salts, but it's not seeming to help. The filter was pushing Saya around, but I moved it to the middle of the divider to help with water distribution.
On Wednesday, I changed about 25% of the water, and added bettasafe, since it was tapwater. Low-and-behold, there's murky water.

In conclusion, this all leaves me with one question: What on earth can I do????? nothing's working!!!!

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If its clear on the tips that sounds like new fin growth. Can you post a pic? IME, fin rot is black & thick, kind of crusty looking. The bacteria bloom is normal in a new tank & typically clears up within a week or two.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pics of Saya

it's kind of hard to see, since I took it from my ipod touch. She has the brown on her tail and dorsal fin, also. sorry the pics are sideways :dunno:

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Sorry, I'm not seeing the pics for some reason. It could just be me, it happens some times. Hopefully somebody else can see them & help you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I'm not seeing the pics for some reason. It could just be me, it happens some times. Hopefully somebody else can see them & help you.
they are prettu big files, since they're taken via ipod. it may not work using a phone and via llink. I'll try uploading the files (again sideways for some reason :( )

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts