Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my son's betta, Lavatail. He's VERY hard to photograph because he will.not.stay.still.evar. Be that as it may, I've noticed that the tips of his rays have darkened up. He's acting quite normally at this time, but I'm suspecting he might have some finrot.

I read the sticky on it, and I plan to start him back on salt this evening pending confirmation - we had a bout of fuzzies a month ago, and salt seemed to fix that right up. What exactly *is* finrot though? The sticky didn't really say.

Anyway, here he is currently:

ltfinrot1280.jpg

Here is the before, for comparison:

lavatail1280.jpg

Tank: 2.5 gallon
Temp: Heater kept at 78 F
Filter: No
Water change: 50% every 3 days
Food: Omega One Betta Buffet, Hikari pellets, occasional treat of FD brine shrimp or a FD bloodworm, moistened
No tankmates

Water quality parameters - have not tested, need to get a kit!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Finrot is like a fungus of sorts that 'eats' away at the fins ;o Good thing you caught it ahead of time! Tell us how he heals up :3

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like finrot to you too? Mem, bummer, I was kinda hoping someone would tell me I'm just being paranoid! My kids really love their fish though, and Lavatail is the class clown of the lot, so I want to stay on top of keeping them healthy!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks like nasty biting to me, add stress coat or AQ to make sure he doesn't get fin rot.
My first thought at the first picture is maybe finrot, but it looks like biting only in the second one, plus the way its torn. I think the black is his coloring(my black blue VT recovers his fin in a greish black red edge that turns to blue after a few days.)
Finrot can also be a few types of gram negative bacteria.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't seen any evidence of biting. Though to be fair, I never actually see them build bubble nests either. My halfmoon had an episode of tail biting recently, and Lavatail's tail doesn't look like that to me. He's a single ray CT, and his rays are far from perfect. I think he was in bad water for a while. They've been red to the tips until recently, which is making me thing FR.

At any rate, the first step is AQ salt for biteyness or FR, correct? And I use Stresscoat as my conditioner anyway, so he's got that going already.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
He's a CT, right? My Ct is basically the same color and his fins are lined in black- it's his color. If you see the tail kind of shortening up or the black 'grows' then it's prob finrot.
Keep him in clean water. Clean water and patience will heal any fin damage (assuming it's not that bad to begin with).. Maybe pick up some IAL (off ebay for really cheap) lives by ial now :) Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Need help too.

What is IAL? Maybe I should create a new post, but I am unsure if my betta also has finrot. He is by himself, but the tips are certainly a lil red and he's usually all blue. The people at my local fish store told me to wait because maybe he's changing color.

I do a 33% water change every three days in my small tank. Should I try to take a picture for you all?

Jake

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The blurry picture from a couple of weeks ago has his fins red to the tips (since his fins *are* mostly red this is assumed to be healthy!). We've had him for a little over two months. I noticed a few nights ago that his fins and tail were now black at the tips. At this time, I'm only doing some AQ salt and watching.

Jake: IAL = Indian Almond Leaves. They can be put in the water to release tannins which darken the water and are reputed to also help the immune system of the betta. Some also use dried oak leaves, which tend to be more locally available (ie, in your backyard) in many locations.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty sure as of today that it is rot and not coloration. The ends of the black rays are turning transparent/greyish. I upped the AQ salt dosage last night, but I have questions!

How long does it usually take before you can tell if the salt is working?

What should I keep the temp at for treatment? Right now it's ~78F.

If the salt doesn't seem to be doing the trick, what would a good medicine be?

What about his decor? I'm treating him in his tank since he has no plants or buddies at the moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts