Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my betta? I don't know if it's fin rot or something else. I currently have:

- 3 gallon tank with a divider (will be upgrading to a 10 gallon when I move this week)
- a controlled heater
- a filter
- caves for each betta
- a silk plant
- feeding it every other day (~8 pellets and ~5-7 freeze-dried bloodworms)

I have also been trying to get rid of the protein film of the water, but that hasn't worked yet.

How often do I have to change the water for them to be healthy? And how do I get rid of the protein film? I don't overfeed them because they eat everything I put out and I scoop out what they don't eat.

Also I had plastic plants, but I took them out because I was afraid they were getting snagged on them, but I feel like once I took them out, their fins got more raggedy :(

I don't think they're bored and biting their tails, especially because the orange one (Finn) swims around a ton and the blue one (Odie) loves to play in the cave and the silk plant.

Please help! I've attached pictures for reference.

Attachments

Registered
Hello, sorry you are having this issue. To me it look like mild-moderate fin rot, and i' d suggest if it is possible, to instead get 5 gallon tanks instead of a 10 to seperate your fish to decrease the bio-load and treat each individually since it is highly contagious. Hope this helped 馃檪 I hope your bettas get well soon, they are beautiful.

Registered
Hey there, I used to own a rosetail and although he had a huge moderately planted tank with perfect water conditions, his fins always looked so raggedy... I initially thought it was fin rot but that shouldn't happen in such pristene conditions. And it never seemed to get any better. A few members here told me it looked like he was biting his fins. This is why they are U and V shaped chunks taken out. There could be any number of reasons for fin biting. It could be from stress, from boredom, or even hunger. However, I know I always provide my fish with plenty of stimulation and they are far from stressed. I did research and found that rosetails are very prone to this behavior. Often, their fins will get so large that they weigh them down or get in their way and they will bite at them to trim them or out of frustration (maybe even a mixture of the two). My rosetail boy has since passed and I now own a super aggressive veiltail that bites his fins sometimes too. He has the good life so I swear he does it just because he can. Otherwise, both fish were totally healthy and acted great. Those fins match the fins of my boys very closely. I know you said you don't think it's biting, but I can almost guarantee you that it is. I didn't think mine were either but it matched the description of the chunks taken out and I even caught my veil tail doing it one time. Keep their water super clean and nice and warm for them. Indian almond leaves are great for their calming and antibacterial properties. You can find them on amazon for a pretty decent price. That's where I get mine and my bettas love them. Just keep the tank clean, warm, and calm and hopefully in a little while, their fins will regrow. Let's just hope they don't make a continuous habit out of it like mine have. Haha. On a side note, if they can see each other, they may be tearing up their own fins because they can't get to one another to fight and it's frustrating them. So to me, it definitely looks like they're biting their fins. I know it looks pretty wicked but as long as you keep the water clean and warm, this bad habit shouldn't cause any major problems. If anyone else more experienced has any other thoughts, I'm sure they'll stop by. :)
PS - Stress Guard by Seachem is wonderful for fin regrowth and is very safe in my experience!!!
Good luck!!!

Registered
"How often do I have to change the water for them to be healthy? And how do I get rid of the protein film? I don't overfeed them because they eat everything I put out and I scoop out what they don't eat.

Also I had plastic plants, but I took them out because I was afraid they were getting snagged on them, but I feel like once I took them out, their fins got more raggedy :("

Some bettas hate their decorations moved or taken away. This can trigger worse fin biting. Especially if it makes it harder for them to get out of view of the other betta. If they're biting, this could explain why it was worse after removing the plants. Also, you have a 3 gallon divided between 2 bettas. That's 1.5 gallons per betta. Even that small space can cause biting. Water quality can go downhill fast with that small of a tank so I think it would be best to do a 25% water change at least a couple of times a week. This should also help with the protein skim I would believe.

Once you upgrade to a 10 gallon with 5 gallons per betta, one 25% water change every week should suffice. Gravel vaccuming is also very important for water quality which is actually very difficult to do in a divided 3 gallion but much easier in a bigger tank. So long story short, pretty positive they are biting, keep the water as clean as possible so they don't get an infection, the tank upgrade will help. Be sure to give them lots of nice plants (real is best but silk is great too) and decorations and hiding spots and they'll be very happy!

Registered
The thing is when you are feeding your betta they will eat as much food as you give them. Normally how i judge the feeding is the size of their eye. How ever many pellets can fit in his eye is how much you give them. The instructions on packaging is not always right. Most betta have 2-3 pellets a day. Or 2-3 bloodworms a day. Then I personally don't feed my betta on Saturday. Feeding them every other day is good too. I normally just do one day though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts