Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes - HOB
Does it have a heater? Yes preset to 78, Aqueon 50W
What temperature is your tank? 76-78, lately been 74-75
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? none besides the filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Bio-Gold, with frozen bloodworms once a week and frozen brine shrimp several times a week
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Nope
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 8 pellets in 4 pellet breakfast and dinner feedings.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? fish in cycle so since I had him, once a day
What percentage of water did you change? 50-60%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum aggressively
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime, with quick-start but might switch to stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: Ammonia Alert now is reading 0, but a few days ago .025-.05 and then I did a water change and dosed with prime.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 ppm or so, it was orange (tap water has nitrates)
pH: 7.8-8.0
Hardness (GH): last tested months ago was 60
Alkalinity (KH): last tested months ago was 120

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few days ago. I noticed a splotch on his fins, and then 2-3 days ago I noticed his fins progressively thinning and light bring able to shine through.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Splotch on tips of anal fin, anal fin and ventral fins are becoming transparent, thinning, idk its hard to explain. Tail, dorsal, and pectoral fins look fine.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No major behavior changes, besides him spending more time by the heater.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No. I try to do frequent water changes and aggressive gravel vaccuming, but the vacuuming doesn't do much for particulate matter.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Don't think so
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 weeks plus a few days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Don' think so

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The videos are regarding the fin condition, the picture is seperate.

Hey guys. Posted about something similar before, however a new problem arose. HIs anal fin is starting to like disintegrate from the middle. It's becoming transparent, and I can tell because light is showing through. I don't know what to call this, thinning? Disintegrating? Doesn't seem like fin rot as the edges, especially on his other fins, are fine. No obviously behavior changes. Never seen this before and despite extensive research have come up empty handed on what this could be.

On my other post, I believe BettaLoverSara commented that the white splotch was fin growth. That made sense at the time so I relaxed. However, since then, the fins have progressively gotten more transparent. I can't imagine why fins losing color/thinning out would be fin growth, so I did more research and came up empty handed. So here I am again. I'll upload videos so you can clearly see. The first video is about a week or so after I got him, and the second video is him this afternoon.

P.S: the picture I'll be uploading shows the water after I do a water change and adding the water. Even though I vacuum aggressively, have the water filtered, and clean up uneaten food. Yet, everytime I add the new water for the water change, a bunch of fine particulate matter in the water gets kicked up and stays floating for some time before it settles. Is this normal? I want to make sure the water is as clean as possible, but even though I do alot of water changes for the fish in cycle and vacuum every time, I still can't seem to get the water crystal clear. In the picture, most of those fine almost dust looking particles are in the water. Eventually, they settle, but they will get kicked up when I add water during the water change.

Video 1, a week after getting him: IMG_2258.MOV
Video 2, taken this afternoon about 2-3 weeks after getting him: IMG_2407.MOV

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts