Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately, I am noticing alot of my fishes fins falling off. Little bits and pieces and its making me worried. I have been added melafix daily and increased the water changes for him to have fresh clean water.

His water levels are normal,

pH: 7
NO3: 0
NO2: 0
GH: Normal
KH: Normal

I am not sure what else should be done. I moved his tank closer to me, so he sits on my desk versus on my dresser. Doing so, he just made a big bubble nest and they look like happy bubbles...so I am not sure.
Nothing in his tank is pointed or sharp. There is a live plant, and silk plants.
I will add photos later.
Any ideas? Is it fin rot?

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's hard to tell without pictures. It sounds like maybe fin biting. Is he still eating? When you do post pics can you include a full tank photo?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is how his tank is, and how his fins are.

He still eats, which is good. He eat the omega betta pellets.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's hard to tell without pictures. It sounds like maybe fin biting. Is he still eating? When you do post pics can you include a full tank photo?
If it is fin biting what are ways to stop him from doing so? Usually, hes just on his leaf. Hes really lethargic and would only move for food. But, now that I have moved him to my desk and closer to me, hes been swimming more around his tank.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Please fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick source of information.

And if you are answering a call for help please request this form be filled out. If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions contact a Moderator.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Form

Please fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick source of information.

And if you are answering a call for help please request this form be filled out. If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions contact a Moderator.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
YES
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
NO
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
NO

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Omega
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Pellets
Freeze-dried?
NO
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
2 pellets twice a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
2-3 days
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Vacuum
What additives do you use?
Prime, melafix

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): Normal
Alkalinity (KH): Normal

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Couple of days ago. I noticed before little pieces and I had assumed it was because of a decoration that was spiky. So I took that out but now more and more bits are coming off.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Ragged fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Lethargic
Is your Betta still eating?
Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
I added melafix daily but then I stopped because the water would get so cloudy.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
No
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
6 months and no

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paperclip in the toolbar.
If it is the fact that he is biting his fins, is there a way to stop that behavior?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I do not use or recommend the use of this product.

I added melafix daily but then I stopped because the water would get so cloudy.
I am not surprised, In some case it can actually act as a food source for the bacteria (it's an organic oil....tea tree oil to be exact).

If it is the fact that he is biting his fins, is there a way to stop that behavior?
We need to see a photo of the tank, and the bettas fins.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not use or recommend the use of this product.

I am not surprised, In some case it can actually act as a food source for the bacteria (it's an organic oil....tea tree oil to be exact).

We need to see a photo of the tank, and the bettas fins.
I already added the photos earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
First thing I would do is stuff the tank full of live plants including floating ones this will make him feel more secure and floating plants will cut the light down a bit.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Like said, melafix is a useless chemical.

It could be fin rot or fin biting, depending on how it looks. If there is ribboning or U shaped areas, it's fin biting, if it's anything else and dark edges, it's fin rot. Although, I can't give you a for sure diagnosis without a clear picture.

They both have similar remedies because they are similar issues -

Fin Biting

Fin biting usually happens out of boredom or stress. To lower stress, make sure he has soft plants and a warm & clean tank. To help boredom, you can buy him new things, or move his plants around to change it up a little.

Sometimes, however, fin biters won't ever stop being fin biters...but there are measures you can take to try and heal up his tail- or at least help keep it healthy.

If you suspect tail biting, leave him normal and try the stress/boredom solutions. If it gets particularly bad though, give him 1 tsp/gal of AQ salt and 50-100% changes daily with 82ish degree water.

Fin Rot

Once it starts, it's hard to stop...but if you suspect it's fin rot, start with 1 tsp/gal of AQ salt, Stress Coat, 50-100% daily changes [preferably 100, if your tank is too big for that, you can move him into a smaller, easier to clean hospital tank], and nice, warm 82F water.

Fin Rot becomes a whole different matter if those things don't help.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
100% water changes stress the fish out too much.

Fin rot is the direct result of poor tank maintenance
It ca be stressful, but no, it doesn't harm them. It's a myth. I'd say dirty water is much more stressful.

Fin rot can also be genetic, certain fish are more prone to it than others.

Reactions: BettaBoy11

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I normally, would do 100% water change at the end of the week. It has never stressed out my fish. Then when they go in they have fresh clean water and I have the chance to then rotate the decorations around and add or discard something.

When I get the chance to go to a pet store, I will go ahead and get some more live plants to place in both of my fishes tanks. My fish's fins are more u shaped and nothing relevant to fin rot. On its fin are no black edges or dark edges. But I will deff get some aquarium salt and continue to do the water changes. As seen in the photos, as soon as I moved him on my desk where he is closer to me, he made a big bubble nest which I am not sure if hes happy he got moved closer to me or what, but, because he was moved hes actually swimming around more, checking out who passes by and not sitting on his leaf all the time.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I normally, would do 100% water change at the end of the week. It has never stressed out my fish. Then when they go in they have fresh clean water
Heres just a few reasons why 100% water changes are bad.

1 you have to net the fish.
2 You have to put it in a small cup or holding container.
3 You put the fish back in its tank.
4 The water parameters are now not the same as in the cup
5 The water temp is now not the same

All these things stress the fish and can even be dangerous unless you re acclimatise the fish to his tank.

And people who also wash the ornaments and gravel kill any cycle that may have started in the tank.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heres just a few reasons why 100% water changes are bad.

1 you have to net the fish.
2 You have to put it in a small cup or holding container.
3 You put the fish back in its tank.
4 The water parameters are now not the same as in the cup
5 The water temp is now not the same

All these things stress the fish and can even be dangerous unless you re acclimatise the fish to his tank.

And people who also wash the ornaments and gravel kill any cycle that may have started in the tank.
I personally, do not net the fish. I scoop them up in the cup that they are given in. I then let them float, do the daily things when changing the water 100%. The maximum I will let them sit in the same water is two weeks. I have done this to both of my fishes for several months. Now yes, my one fish has I guess now, fin biting issues but its not from the regimen I have given for my fish. The tanks are small and thus I clean them more frequently.

If this is fin biting, the best way to treat this is aquarium salt? The light, as mentioned, I rarely turn it on, I turned it on for the photos. The fish just get sunlight.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
When I get the chance to go to a pet store, I will go ahead and get some more live plants to place in both of my fishes tanks.
That will be fine, While you are there look into getting some Indian Almond Leaf ( small ones will do ) this will hepl him heal and de stress him a bit, just pop half the leaf in the water and let it float, but be warned it will stain the water yellow, This is normal it is the tannins that are beneficial.

In the mean time give him lots of clean water 50% water changes every other day continue to use Prime and throw the "fix " product out.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That will be fine, While you are there look into getting some Indian Almond Leaf ( small ones will do ) this will hepl him heal and de stress him a bit, just pop half the leaf in the water and let it float, but be warned it will stain the water yellow, This is normal it is the tannins that are beneficial.

In the mean time give him lots of clean water 50% water changes every other day continue to use Prime and throw the "fix " product out.
Will do so. Thank you for the advice!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,451 Posts
Fin rot is 99% environmental. With your schedule and parameter numbers it is nearly impossible your boy has fin rot. Instead, look at those fins. Many Betta with overly-long/heavy fins eventually fin bite because they discover lightening their fins makes swimming easier. That could well be why he is no longer as lethargic as he was. It might have something to do with the move to your desk but I would bet on easier mobility being a part of it, too.

The only sustainable reason to do 100% water changes is to rid the tank of meds or if med directions require such drastic water changes. No matter how you do them, whether you net or scoop or how you acclimate 100% water changes are stressful. While once acceptable now that there are filters available for smaller tanks they are unnecessary. And don't discount that the fin biting could also be caused by the 100% water changes....stress doesn't always happen overnight; it can take months to build and symptoms to be displayed.

You must, of course, do what you feel is best for your fish. After all, you know them better than anyone else. But you might take into consideration that two long-time aquarists have advised to stop those 100% water changes. And if you search this Forum you will find a majority of people advise the same.

Good luck and, as NickAu asked, keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts