Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I don't think this is an "emergency" (I hope it isn't one!) but I want to make sure I can stop it before it becomes one.

My betta's fins are looking weird at the moment. They're getting spiky at the very ends. We just got him on April 30th. When we got him, his fins were very full, but he did come with a few broken rays on his tail.

Now it's been two weeks, and his fins appear to be starting to clamp at the very ends. It's most noticeable on his dorsal fin and the rear bottom of his anal fin. I am not sure if this is clamping or some sort of fin rot or melt. I've attached a couple of pictures. One is from when we first got him, the other is from a few minutes ago, so you can see the comparison.

He is not showing any other symptoms and is still very active and hungry. I only saw the spikiness appearing yesterday morning. Last night, I did a 50% water change with double the dose of Stress Coat. Nothing else is in the water other than Prime and Stress Coat. I have aquarium salt on hand.

I should also mention that I did a fishless cycle before bringing him home and haven't seen any nitrites or ammonia since putting him in. I test every 2-3 days.

Housing
What size is your tank? - 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? - 80
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Mostly Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, but also frozen (defrosted) bloodworms, and frozen (defrosted) daphnia
How often do you feed your betta fish? - When feeding pellets, 2 pellets twice a day, soaked in water to soften. When feeding bloodworms, a treat I'll give him every couple of weeks, 2-3 twice a day. (The bloodworms I have at the moment are huge.) Daphnia, I just gave him a few drops full last night. They'll be an occasional thing.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? - Only had him for 2 weeks so don't have a routine yet, but I'll do it every week or so. Changed it 9 days ago and then last night.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Prime and Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

This was BEFORE the water change I did last night. I haven't tested it since then:
Ammonia: - 0
Nitrite: - 0
Nitrate: - ~3 ppm
pH: - 6.4
Hardness: - I don't have a test for this...
Alkalinity: - ... or this. Sorry!

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - Fins getting spiky at the ends.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - It hasn't. He doesn't seem to notice any difference.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Yesterday morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - No, not other than a water change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - Not sure about that, he's too new!
How old is your fish (approximately)? - Only had him two weeks and I'm pretty he was a recent arrival at the pet store. So probably a few months old I'd think?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think it's just fin growth coming in! If you got him two weeks ago and he was a new arrival, he probably is still pretty young, so his fins probably are not finished growing, and it's just more growth coming in! The bones on the fins grow, then the flesh on his fins will catch up to where the bones are! It's pretty typical for a young betta to have spiky fins as their fins grow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Well, that's cool! If that's all it is, I can deal with that. :) Thanks for answering!

I didn't know that about new growth looking spiky! Good to know. I've only had one fish before this one, so I don't have a ton of experience, and the experience I do have is all with one fish.

Aaand today he has a hole in his anal fin. Noooo! It must have happened overnight. Guess I'll just keep watching and keep up with water changes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The reason why growing fins get spiky is because the bone and flesh do not grow at the same rate. The bones grow out, but the flesh does not. The spikes are the bones. Soon, the flesh catches up with the bones and fills in the arch shape in between each spike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts