1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
The red seems to be on parts of the fins that are not damaged, with the exception of the bloody ends of the caudal.

How has the fish been acting?
How big is your tank?
How much and how often do you clean?
What temperature is your tank at?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi. I'm new to the community and a new betta owner. He was purchased from Petco about a month ago. Elsa (technically my 5 year old daughters fish) was happy and appeared to be healthy. He was blowing bubble nests and tending to them like crazy. He's in a 1.5 gallon tank (I'm aware most people consider that small, it's where we started.) He has a small filter and a heater. I was doing partial water changes twice a week with a turkey baster and 100% water change once a week. He eats pellets and the occasional freeze dried blood work. Everything was fine and then I noticed a black speck on the bottom of a fin. I was convinced it was debris or something, but couldn't do anything about it. As the days passed, I noticed the bottom fins were looking slightly torn. Being a novice betta owner, I started treating him with Bettafix. After two doses he was much worse so I stopped. His top fins were shredded looking and his overall health had rapidly gone down hill. He was no longer active and happy. I completely blame the Bettafix. Oh well. So after my research I've learned daily 100% changes need to happen until he's better and aquarium salt. My question is this...should I be taking him from his tank putting him a small bowl of the salt water mixture several times a day and then putting him back into his clean tank? Or should I be changing his tank water with the salt mixture daily and allowing him to live in it overnight?
This was my original post. Water temp is usually 82 degrees. Currently I'm doing 100% water changes every 2-3 days. He's gone back to making bubble nests again, but he's been less active today. Still happy to see me hoping for food, but not his happy go lucky self.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would check your tank's decor. It might be that he's ripping his fins on something in his tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts