Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my male is already taking care of his nest and the fry are still not free swimmers yet. The dad is not doing a good job of keeping all the fry up in the nest.
A lot of fry are on the bottom of the tank. they are alive because when the dad gets close to them some seem to just pop up and swim towards the surface but them just fall back down.

Will they survive? Is this normal ? and when should I remove the male ?

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
First welcome to the forum and congrats.....

When did the eggs hatch, what is the water temp, what spawning method did you use, any live plants....

If the eggs just hatched-it sounds like everything is going as it should be-but without more info its really hard to say....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pair Spawned on sunday and the eggs just hatch today...Water temp is at about 84 and just lowered it a lil bit. There is a plant and a piece of wood with some flame moss since I couldnt Java moss. Most of the fry are under the styrofoam cup where the bubble nest is. Also there is a sponge filter and they are in a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon high I'm not sure which one.

I just notice that a LOT of the fry are on the bottom of the tank and papi betta is not doing a good job to keep them in the nest.

·
Registered
639 Posts
They should be ok, some dads are better than others.... Try not to distract him from his job too much. One thing you can do is drop the water level as low as you can to 4 inches without uncovering the heater. If the water is too deep it makes a hard job for the dad.

Jeff.:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
My spawn was like that at first. lots of fish on the bottom that Dad would miss, or babies that just ended up too far away. I Don't recall ever vacuuming out any (i went a very long time before i started any siphoning). And i ended up with a ton of fish when they got big enough to move to the other growout. I do believe they breathe with their gills for at least the first couple of weeks anyway.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
yay!! I love fries! They're so tiny and cute!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts