Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This weekend I was out with my mom in Apple Valley, and decided to check out their PetCo, for cat litter. So, after petting the first dog I saw, I walked over to check out their Bettas. Some were dead with white stuff floating around, others alive, just still horrid water. Most sick, some ick, others with gill fuzz. And it was not just the Bettas, some of the other fish looked like they needed help too.

Anyway, I was back to looking at Bettas, and found Rika... She just looked SO small, not quite baby small, but not quite adult big. And while the other Betta's looked plump, her stomach was flat and I could see her swim bladder. Mom caved and let me get her, due to seeing so many of those fish dead. Ahh this is longer then expected...

She is in my 2.5 gallon tank that I swore I never would have to use again... (Now I understand what people mean by not being able to keep a hospital tank.) Silk plants, gravel, bubbler, and volla, temporary Betta home! In my room, tanks stay around 80˚F so I'm not going to risk one of those small heaters... I'm doing 50% daily W/C until I can order a sponge filter on Friday, or get her in a 5 gal. (with a 30ML betta turkey baster form petsmart, Oww my hand)

What you were waiting for: Pictures!

View attachment 398570

View attachment 398578

View attachment 398586

I do not know how old she is, but she searches the floor for food and ignores pellets, I've been feeding her mysis, as it's the only thing she will touch. :roll:

her whole body is 1.5 inches

(sorry it ended up being so long)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I have belt from The Croods hanging onto my lamp, So I guess it just ends up looking creepy xD

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Every time I see that weird, creepy reflection, I laugh!

Congratulations on your new girl. It will be exciting to see how she turns out with good care. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Cant wait to upgrade her to at least a five gal. After she figured out that I give food, she stares at me knowing that there is a 75% chance I'll at least give her something. Already lost interest in the bubbles, it's now an all day food patrol. Gaining muscle from all the 1 gallon jug carrying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*update* She finally ate a pellet! I went and got the Omega one Betta pellets, because I've been hearing such good reviews about it on here. Ate it as soon as it was in the tank! Guess she could smell how fake the other stuff was, I had no idea our petco even had Betta food with real stuff! Totally worth the three dollars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Improvements... and something else I guess?

The redness on her face seems to have cleared up a bunch! But I think she wants to become iridescent... Is this normal? Some lighting she is red with some blue, others blue with a bit of red, and others, clear. I've seen bettas 'color up,' just never color down. (Well it's as bright as before, just not at all angles.)

Finally got a pic of her lipstick mouth!
View attachment 399538
View attachment 399514 View attachment 399522 View attachment 399570

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.