Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R2-D2, blue and white butterfly male
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a betta fish who wasn't doing great health-wise, so I decided to get him into a planted 3.5 gallon tank with a new filter. I was careful about acclimating him, and he seemed to get better for a bit, but he unfortunately passed yesterday afternoon. There wasn't much time to put it all together, but I was happy with how the plants looked and my betta appeared to enjoy exploring the new plants during the last couple of weeks. I just wanted to add some photos and ask if the plants are doing well before I take the tank apart to move it to school for the semester. Sorry that the lighting isn't great, I removed the lid with lights for less glare.

Thanks in advance for any comments or tips! I appreciate them all, especially if you have any specifically about how to keep the plants safe during a two hour drive.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi!
There are a number of sticky/pinned threads at the top of forums here that can be helpful. There's only one thing to note, that a bettas stomach is larger than it's eye. They need to be fed twice a day with good food such as New Life Spectrum, as much as they can eat within a 60 second timeframe.

RIP sweet baby boi!

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,012 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Is that a Sword on the right? Is the one leaf newer than the others? Or has it thinned? Plants in the substrate need some sort of root-feeding fertilizers. I recommend these https://www.nilocg.com/shop/thrive-root-tabs-fertilizer-aquarium-plants/ I like them because they are tabs and not capsules.

You can let the other plant float when you get your new Betta. They love the shade floating plants provide. They also seem to enjoy resting in them. That also gives you more room for more plants. :)

I use this site for reference BucePlant.com - Aquascaping and Aquarium Plants Super Store I've bought from them, too, but mainly I use it and www.tropica.com for information.

Have fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the tips!

The first plant is a sword and the second is an anacharis. I am thinking about getting some more rocks for the aquarium, maybe one with a hole or cavity large enough for my next fish to swim or hide in, since it feels a bit bare at the moment. I have this cool piece of spider wood or driftwood that used to be in the middle but it started growing algae within a week or less, and none of the rocks or gravel had that issue so I'm not sure what that was about. I will look into root tabs or fertilizers for the plants soon, thank you for the link! As for shade, the anacharis seems to be getting really long, and I don't mind letting it float around a bit, so hopefully that will help out while I shop around for more ways to provide shade and enrichment for my new betta. I move back to my dorm on Sunday afternoon and I found a couple of aquarium stores that are fairly close, so I will look into those as well.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
When I have plants sent to me through mail they wrap the plant in wet paper towel and put them in ziplock bags. I believe they ship them like that for weight reasons, since you’re driving keeping them in a ziplock bag full of tank water would work well. Maybe put the bags in a bucket so they don’t move during your trip. Good luck on your move 🤘🏻

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the advice! I was able to get my plants to their destination safely using a gallon ziplock and some leftover tank water. My new betta is enjoying his home (I made sure to cycle the tank and acclimate him to the temperature first!) and I’m excited to have the tank with me at school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts